TV

Facing TV Problems? Ask a TV Technician.

My Toshiba TV is flashing randomly. My Toshiba VHS

Hello. My Toshiba TV...

Hello. My Toshiba TV is flashing white randomly. My Toshiba VHS Player/DVD Player and Recorder is doing this as well. I'm using HDMI 1.

Technician's Assistant: Who makes your media player? How old is it?

Toshiba. I bought it in 2013.

Technician's Assistant: What have you tried so far with your Toshiba media player?

I've tried cleaning the inside, a tape cleaner, tested it on another tv in another house, resetting the settings, and tons of research online, phone calls, visiting Best Buy

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Video Expert to know before I connect you?

I am open to an possible solutions as I'm exhausted as to trying to figure out what the issue is. Thanks for your help in advance.

Answered in 1 hour by:
3/5/2018
Richard, Technician

Thank you for your question, my name is ***** ***** I look forward to assisting you.

Please note, a rating is only needed when we are finished.

Can you please remove the power to the TV (so unplug it from the power socket).

Then on the actual TV, hold the power button for 60 seconds then release.

Then wait 10 minutes, connect the power again to the TV, turn it on and tell me please if it is now operating correctly.

Let me know the results please

Hello Richard,As for the TV, I only noticed it on one video on Youtube, so it might just be the way it was edited. However, regardless if my Toshiba DVR620KU (DVD and VHS Recorder/Player) is plugged in or not, it flashes white. This is when playing vhs tapes and vhs-c tapes with vhs adapters. I know this because I didn't use hdmi or any connections to my tv and burned a vhs to dvd and the white flashes still happened. I even tried it at my friend's house and the same thing happened. So my question is, is there a way to reset my Toshiba DVR like you instructed me for resetting my TV? Because it sounds like that might actually work. I'm going to try the instructions you told me for my tv with my Toshiba DVR, but there probably is a specific thing I have to do. If you could let me know that would be great. Thanks.
Tried resetting the Toshiba DVR620KU and it didn't work. I'm hoping you might know the correct buttons to press to reset this device. Resetting it from the menu doesn't seem to do anything. And unplugging, pressing the power button for 60 seconds, and replugging the Toshiba DVR620KU doesn't work. Like I said, those were the instructions you gave me for my Toshiba TV. I'm hoping there are similar instructions for resetting the Toshiba DVR. Any input on this would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Also, here is a dvd recording of the vhs white flash issue. It is shown in playback as well as burning the vhs to dvd. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aYd4mNPYPYg

Disconnect everything from it, then only connect power and turn it on

Let it sit there and tell me if it then flashes please

I’m sure I understand. I would need to connect the hdmi from the Toshiba DVR620KU to my Toshiba TV in order to see what’s being played back. And when I do this, my vhs tapes flash white. I think the white flashes are from my DVR, not the TV because I’ve tested it on 2 other TVs. I’m hoping there’s a way to reset the DVR by pushing buttons.

Nothing is connected to the TV, just leave nothing connected and see if it flashes White then we know if it is the TV or not

I’m *not sure I understand.

Disconnect everything from the TV , then only connect power and turn it on

Then we know if it is the TV at fault

The TV doesn’t flash white with your instructions. So it is not the TV at fault. I think it’s the Toshiba DVR620KU.

Thank you

Can you use a different cable between the Toshiba DVR620KU and the TV

Tell me how it then works please

Even with no hdmi cable connected to the Toshiba DVR, when the vhs burns to dvd, the recording show it flashes white.

ok, have you run a tape and disk cleaner on the unit?

I have.

Thanks

Go to the General Settings menu and choose reset all to reset it

tell me how it then functions please

I’ve tried that a few times. Still flashes white.

Thanks

It is the internal VHS heads or the mainboard that has faulted, this now confirms it.

I am really sorry about this and you are going to have to return the unit to have it replaced. It will be covered by the warranty if this has not expired, and the replacement will be done at no cost to you.

I am really sorry about this, and if you have problems, or would like any additional information or assistance, please do not hesitate to let me know.

And if you can take a second to rate my service by clicking one of the stars at the top of the page, then submit, that would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

Richard, Technician