TV

Facing TV Problems? Ask a TV Technician.

My TV set just died. This tv is only one year old...help. I…

My TV set just...

My TV set just died. This tv is only one year old...help

Technician's Assistant: Is your TV connected to a surge protector or power strip?

Yes

Technician's Assistant: Have you tried to power reset your TV (unplugging the power for 1-2 minutes, then plugging it back in)?

Yes

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the TV Expert to know before I connect you?

I have tried many things but am not very savvy with the equipment

3/4/2018
Eldon
Eldon, Technician

Hello and sorry to hear you're having trouble,

Can you tell me the brand and model number of the tv, please?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
It is a Samsung, but don’t know the model number

The model number is ***** on a sticker on the back of the tv.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I will look

Thank you

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
UN55kU65000F

Thanks for checking.

Unfortunately, the issues you are experiencing are symptomatic of an internal hardware defect, meaning a faulty power supply or main/control board, though there are many possible failure points. This issue could be a manufacturing defect, but is also often caused by a power event (shock/surge, prolonged over/under voltage condition, etc). Even for a 2016 model, that isn't surprising to see as board failures like this can be common after a few years.

There is one step you can take here, both as a possible fix, as well as a diagnostic evaluation:
1) Unplug the power cord from the outlet

2) Wait at least 1 hour (60+ Minutes)

3) Press and hold the power button (on the set, not the remote) for 60 seconds
4) Keep holding power button while plugging back in, and for another 60 seconds after. When plugging back in, go directly to the wall outlet, bypassing any power strips or surge protectors.

If this reset process does not work, it would unfortunately confirm an internal hardware failure.

This is something that would require repairs to correct; if you're thinking about a do it yourself repair, you'll need to be comfortable and skilled with electronics repairs, which could include dismantling the set (removing the back panel of the tv), diagnostics testing with a multimeter, changing out boards as needed, and possibly desoldering/removing and soldering/replacing individual components.

Beyond the warranty (once they are more than a year old), they are usually not worth fixing though. If you’re considering repair at a local shop, you’ll find a typical repair to be around $300 for diagnostics, parts, and labor.

For a tv of this size/age however, replacement will actually make more sense. You can get a brand new LED tv with a fresh warranty in the $500 range.

I can help you with finding parts, finding a repair shop, or recommending replacement options, if desired.

My apologies for the news,

Eldon

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Shoot...not very good news

I wish I had better news for you, unfortunately this type of hardware failure is common, and tvs are essentially disposable these days.

It certainly doesn't hurt to try the reset though, you may get lucky, but if it is past the warranty then its probably time for a new set.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thanks...I only bought it last May, so may be I’m lucky. Thanks again. Bye

Okay well if it is less than a year old, then you should still be under warranty,

I was assuming you meant it was past (this is a 2016 model, so that would be more expected)

If you think that is the case, then call 800samsung in the morning and they can open a warranty claim for you and they should cover the repair costs.

My goal is to give you the best experience possible! I hope I have earned a 5 star rating! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen before you leave today. If you need more assistance, please use the reply box and let me know.
Thank you, ***** ***** a nice day,

Eldon

Eldon
Eldon, Technician
Eldon
Eldon
Eldon, Technician