TV

Facing TV Problems? Ask a TV Technician.

I have LG TV, model #32LN530B-UA & Serial # 309MXHB32873,

I have LG...

I have LG TV, model #32LN530B-UA & Serial # 309MXHB32873 , purchased Sept. 2013 ...lost the picture and sound, Checked all cords and cables with Cincinnati Bell Fioptics tech. and they finally said to check with maker--LG

Technician's Assistant: How old is your #32LN530B-UA?

4 and 1/2 years. bought in Sept of 2013

Technician's Assistant: Does the TV menu work? Do you have the same problem on all sources/inputs?

Not sure I follow...Fioptics has their own remote and batteries have been checked and replaced

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the TV Expert to know before I connect you?

It's been in the same location, never moved more than a few feet one way or the other.

Answered in 1 minute by:
3/4/2018
Dan, Master Tech and Repair Facility Trainer

Welcome to the site! I'm Dan. I understand you don't have picture or sound, but is the TV actually turning on or is it completely dead?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
It was on last evening and I turned around and saw that the sound was on but no picture....then the sound went. Later I was picking up the sound but was told by the Fioptic tech that it was coming through the cable box , not the TV. So both are out and wont come on now.

Ok, let's narrow this down. Turn the TV off, and make the room as dark as possible. Get a good idea for how pitch black the screen is. Now turn the TV on and watch the screen. I know it’s still black, but did the screen seem to lighten up, even slightly?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I turned the TV on and the picture flickered for a few minutes and then stopped. The sound is on though.

Grab the original remote (not the cable remote) and press try to bring up the MENU. Is it visible?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Please call me on my land line at(###) ###-####
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I hear better on my landline!
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
How long do I have to wait to get a call?

I am not available by phone, but I will opt out and allow someone else to call. Stand by...

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
The picture looked like it was coming on but was very dim(lights out) . The sound stayed on. Picture never brightened or did more than flickering.
Eldon
Eldon, Technician

Hello and sorry to hear you're having trouble,

The service fees you've paid thus far cover this chat format only. I'd be happy to call if you'd like, but the site does charge an additional fee for that service.
I'll send an offer for that which you may accept if you'd like, or we can continue here if you prefer, just let me know.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Let‘ s use this format for a few minutes.

Sure,

are you able to see the tvs own menu screens at all?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
No.

Thank you for checking,

Unfortunately, the issues you are experiencing are symptomatic of an internal hardware defect, meaning a faulty power supply or main/control board, though there are many possible failure points. This issue could be a manufacturing defect, but is also often caused by a power event (shock/surge, prolonged over/under voltage condition, etc).

This could also be the result of age related wear and tear; as a 2013 model tv, that type of failure wouldn’t be surprising. This set is right at the end of its expected service life.

There is one step you can take here, both as a possible fix, as well as a diagnostic evaluation:
1) Unplug the power cord from the outlet

2) Wait at least 1 hour (60+ Minutes)

3) Press and hold the power button (on the set, not the remote) for 60 seconds
4) Keep holding power button while plugging back in, and for another 60 seconds after. When plugging back in, go directly to the wall outlet, bypassing any power strips or surge protectors.

If this reset process does not work, it would unfortunately confirm an internal hardware failure.

This is something that would require repairs to correct; if you're thinking about a do it yourself repair, you'll need to be comfortable and skilled with electronics repairs, which could include dismantling the set (removing the back panel of the tv), diagnostics testing with a multimeter, changing out boards as needed, and possibly desoldering/removing and soldering/replacing individual components.

If you’re considering repair at a local shop, you’ll find a typical repair to be around $300 for diagnostics, parts, and labor.

For a tv of this size/age however, replacement will make more sense. You can get a brand new LED tv with a fresh warranty in the under $200 range.

I can help you with finding parts, finding a repair shop, or recommending replacement options, if desired.

My apologies for the news,

Eldon

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thanks . I will try what you suggest but I am so disappointed to know that the life of that TV is under 5 years. The analog that it replaced was 22 years old and still working! Such is progress and perhaps planned obsoletion! Thanks for your help��

5 years is a normal service life for a modern flat screen tv, and that is for one of the good brands. On average you may get a few months less or a year more occasionally, but 5 is the expected life.

If replacing, I recommend sticking to the name brands, which tend to be the most reliable, such as LG, Panasonic, and Samsung, for example: http://amzn.to/2CxVZhP

The “off brand” sets just aren’t worth the savings, they have high failure rates and are poorly supported if parts/repairs are ever needed. For example if you buy a vizio, insignia, tcl, rca, etc, don't expect it to last more than a year or so.

If you happen to be a costco member (or know someone who is) I'd suggest buying it there. They tend to have very good pricing to begin with, but will also double the factory warranty to 2 years instead of 1, and they have a square trade extended warranty you can buy up to an extra 5 years for $50 or so which is well worth it.

My goal is to give you the best experience possible! I hope I have earned a 5 star rating! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen before you leave today. If you need more assistance, please use the reply box and let me know.
Thank you, ***** ***** a nice day,

Eldon

Eldon
Eldon, Technician
stevenl1469
Phone call session started
Eldon
Eldon
Eldon, Technician