TV

Facing TV Problems? Ask a TV Technician.

We have a Samsung UN55KS8000 that started showing flickering…

We have a Samsung...

We have a Samsung UN55KS8000 that started showing flickering ghost images yesterday. After a while it now evolves into just a series of colored vertical lines. It does this even after all cable input has been removed. I tried shutting off the eco function, with no change. Any idea what is going on?

Technician's Assistant: Are there any HDMI cables or A/V jacks (red, yellow, and white cables) plugged into your UN55KS8000?

There have been, HDMI, but even when disconnected the TV continues to have the ghosting and flickering issue.

Technician's Assistant: Was there a power outage recently?

Not that I know of. I live in the sticks, so the power runs through a surge protector just in case.

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the TV Expert to know before I connect you?

Not that I can think of, thanks.

3/4/2018
Dan, Master Tech and Repair Facility Trainer

Welcome to the site! I'm Dan. I really need to see a picture of what you're seeing so I can diagnose it accurately. Next to the "Send" button on your chat window, click "Add Files" to upload photos directly to this conversation.

OK, thank you! The picture is exactly what I needed to see. Those lines can be caused by a few things but the most probable cause is a defective timing control board (aka "Tcon" board). The Tcon board is inside the TV. The good news is that it's replaceable!

Do you have any desire to get inside the TV to make your own repair? Or would you rather find a local technician?

Find a local technician. Thx

Sure, I understand. Check out TvRepairPros.com and enter your zip code to find a certified one. Don't rely on yellow pages. Tell them you want to know how much to have the "T-con" replaced. Shouldn't be more than $150 depending on where you live.

I really hope that answers your question! Let me know if you need anything else. Oh, and please take a second to rate the service I provided (there should be a 5-star scale on your page somewhere). Don't worry, that won't close your question and you can still respond back at any time.

Thanks, we’ll see about getting it fixed.

You're welcome!