TV

Facing TV Problems? Ask a TV Technician.

THE SOUND ON THE TV GOES IN AND OUT. IF I TILT IT ON EITHER…

THE SOUND ON THE...

THE SOUND ON THE TV GOES IN AND OUT. IF I TILT IT ON EITHER SIDE IT MAY COME MOST TIMES IT DOES NOT. SOME TIMES IT WILL COME BACK ON WITHOUT THE TILTING.

Technician's Assistant: What's the brand and model number of your TV? How old is it?

19" SEIKI FLAT SCREEN MODEL SE24FL

Technician's Assistant: Does the TV menu work? Do you have the same problem on all sources/inputs?

YES

Technician's Assistant: How long has this been an issue with your SE24FL? What happened right before this?

We can't recall anything happening to it. It's not a TV we use often.

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the TV Expert to know before I connect you?

No I can't think of anything else.

Answered in 1 minute by:
3/3/2018
Nathan, Installer

Hi, I'm Nathan.
Sorry to hear that you're having trouble, but I'll do my best to help you. Please give me a few moments to review and reply.

Unfortunately, the issues you are experiencing are symptomatic of an internal hardware defect, meaning a faulty main/control board, though there are many possible failure points. This issue could be a manufacturing defect, but is also often caused by a power event (shock/surge, prolonged over/under voltage condition, etc).

This could also be the result of age related wear and tear; as a 2015 model tv, that type of failure wouldn’t be surprising for this brand. These are some of the lowest quality tvs on the market. They are built to meet a certain price point, not for quality or reliability. It is completely normal and expected to see them last just a year or two at best.

There is one step you can take here, both as a possible fix, as well as a diagnostic evaluation:
1) Unplug the power cord from the outlet

2) Wait at least 1 hour (60+ Minutes)

3) Press and hold the power button (on the set, not the remote) for 60 seconds
4) Keep holding power button while plugging back in, and for another 60 seconds after. When plugging back in, go directly to the wall outlet, bypassing any power strips or surge protectors.

If this reset process does not work, it would unfortunately confirm an internal hardware failure.

This is something that would require repairs to correct; if you're thinking about a do it yourself repair, you'll need to be comfortable and skilled with electronics repairs, which could include dismantling the set (removing the back panel of the tv), diagnostics testing with a multimeter, changing out boards as needed, and possibly desoldering/removing and soldering/replacing individual components.

If you’re considering repair at a local shop, you’ll find a typical repair to be around $300 for diagnostics, parts, and labor.

For a tv of this brand/age however, replacement will make more sense. You can get a brand new LED tv with a fresh warranty, from a more reputable brand, in the $150 range.

I can help you with finding parts, finding a repair shop, or recommending replacement options, if desired.

My apologies for the news,

Thank you for your help. Please help us with getting a repair person.Jennifer

You're very welcome,

I can help you find a local repair shop, if you can give me your zip code.

But again it really isn't worth fixing. It would cost twice as much to repair it as it would to buy a new tv.

Ok just give us a repair person. We wdon't be using them if the price is anything like you said. We appreciate your good. advice.
My zip code 38114

Closest is

Sisco TV Service

901\332\1215

If replacing, I recommend sticking to the name brands, which tend to be the most reliable, such as LG, Panasonic, and Samsung, for example: http://amzn.to/2EgA401

The “off brand” sets just aren’t worth the savings, they have high failure rates and are poorly supported if parts/repairs are ever needed.

If you happen to be a costco member (or know someone who is) I'd suggest buying it there. They tend to have very good pricing to begin with, but will also double the factory warranty to 2 years instead of 1, and they have a square trade extended warranty you can buy up to an extra 5 years which is well worth it.

My goal is to give you the best experience possible! I hope I have earned a 5 star rating! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen before you leave today. If you need more assistance, please use the reply box and let me know.
Thank you, ***** ***** a nice day,

Nathan,You have been very helpful, very professional and very informative. We thank you so much.Jennifer & Nesbitt
You are very welcome!
Nathan, Installer