TV

Facing TV Problems? Ask a TV Technician.

My apps like Netflix and Amazon stopped working. I get a…

My apps like Netflix...

My apps like Netflix and Amazon stopped working. I get a message that there is no internet connection. When I go to tv settings it shows that the tv is connected to the internet.

Technician's Assistant: Are you getting any error messages when you try to connect to Netflix?

Ive tried everything I can think of. Resetting the DNS number to 8.8.8.8. This worked once but never again. Resetting the smart hub and reloading the apps. Resetting the tv. Nothing helped.

Technician's Assistant: How is your internet connection? Have you tried unplugging your modem and router, then plugging them back in?

Not anymore. It just shows the red circle going round and round for what seems like minutes.

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the TV Expert to know before I connect you?

Yes I did that.

Answered in 1 hour by:
2/26/2018
Eldon
Eldon, Technician

Hello and sorry to hear you're having trouble.

What is the model number of the tv?

Are you using wifi?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
UNN55J6200AF. And yes I’m using wifi

How far is the tv from the router?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
It’s one floor apart. But this has been like thus for over a year and no problem. The problem just started 2 weeks ago. Also while watching DVR recordings the tv will black out for about 2 seconds then the Samsung logo shows for about 2-3 seconds and it goes right back to the show we are watching. The show has continued to play during this 4-5 second blackout.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Not sure if it’s connected to the app problem.

Thank you for confirming,

when you're watching dvr recordings, is that through an actual app, or do you have a physical dvr box connected (hdmi) to the tv?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
It’s part of my FIOS account so it’s in the cloud.

So you are using a fios app on the tv?
Or are you using an actual fios box connected to the tv with a hdmi cable?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I have a fios box connected to the tv

That is what I needed to know, thank you,

Unfortunately, the combination of issues you are experiencing are symptomatic of an internal hardware defect, meaning a faulty main/control board, though there are many possible failure points. This issue could be a manufacturing defect, but is also often caused by a power event (shock/surge, prolonged over/under voltage condition, etc).

There is one step you can take here, both as a possible fix, as well as a diagnostic evaluation:
1) Unplug the power cord from the outlet

2) Wait at least 1 hour (60+ Minutes)

3) Press and hold the power button (on the set, not the remote) for 60 seconds
4) Keep holding power button while plugging back in, and for another 60 seconds after. When plugging back in, go directly to the wall outlet, bypassing any power strips or surge protectors.

If this reset process does not work, it would unfortunately confirm an internal hardware failure.

This is something that would require repairs to correct; if you're thinking about a do it yourself repair, you'll need to be comfortable and skilled with electronics repairs, which could include dismantling the set (removing the back panel of the tv), diagnostics testing with a multimeter, changing out boards as needed, and possibly desoldering/removing and soldering/replacing individual components.

If you’re considering repair at a local shop, you’ll find a typical repair to be around $300 for diagnostics, parts, and labor.

For a tv of this size/age (2015) however, replacement will make more sense. You can get a brand new 4k LED tv with a fresh warranty in the $500 range.

I can help you with finding parts, finding a repair shop, or recommending replacement options, if desired.

My apologies for the news,

Eldon

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thank you for your help. Hopefully your fix around will work.

You're very welcome, and best of luck!

Eldon
Eldon, Technician
Eldon
Eldon
Eldon, Technician