TV

Facing TV Problems? Ask a TV Technician.

We have a 65" element brand tv. About a month ago, we

We have a 65"...

We have a 65" element brand tv. About a month ago, we noticed black lines horizontally across the entire screen from top to bottom, about 1/2" apart. They are not getting more noticeable. The TV is less than 2 years old.

Technician's Assistant: Are there any HDMI cables or A/V jacks (red, yellow, and white cables) plugged into your Element TV?

Yes. We have a roku plugged into one of the HDMI and a DVD player plugged into the A/V Jack.

Technician's Assistant: Was there a power outage recently?

Not that I know of there might have been about the time that started....

2/26/2018
Eldon
Eldon, Technician

Hello, and sorry to hear you're having trouble,

Can you tell me the model number of the tv, please?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Model number is *****
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
The lines are more like 1/4" apart covering the entire screen.

Unfortunately, the issues you are experiencing are symptomatic of an internal hardware defect, meaning a faulty lcd panel (screen), though there are many possible failure points. This issue could be a manufacturing defect, but is also often caused by a power event (shock/surge, prolonged over/under voltage condition, etc).

This could also be the result of age related wear and tear; as a 2016 model tv, that type of failure wouldn’t be surprising for this brand. These are some of the lowest quality tvs on the market. They are built to meet a certain price point, not for quality or reliability. It is completely normal and expected to see them last just a year or two at best.

There is one step you can take here, both as a possible fix, as well as a diagnostic evaluation:
1) Unplug the power cord from the outlet

2) Wait at least 1 hour (60+ Minutes)

3) Press and hold the power button (on the set, not the remote) for 60 seconds
4) Keep holding power button while plugging back in, and for another 60 seconds after. When plugging back in, go directly to the wall outlet, bypassing any power strips or surge protectors.

If this reset process does not work, it would unfortunately confirm an internal hardware failure.

This is something that would require repairs to correct; if you're thinking about a do it yourself repair, you'll need to be comfortable and skilled with electronics repairs, which could include dismantling the set (removing the back panel of the tv), diagnostics testing with a multimeter, changing out boards as needed, and possibly desoldering/removing and soldering/replacing individual components.

If you’re considering repair at a local shop, you’ll find a typical repair to be around $300 for diagnostics, parts, and labor, assuming the issue is only a board. There is a very high probability that it is a panel fault, which means you'd invest in those repairs with no change and the tv wouldn't even be fixable at that point.

For a tv of this brand/age however, replacement will make more sense. You can get a brand new 4k LED tv with a fresh warranty, from a more reputable brand, in the $700 range, for a 60 inch tv (yours is a 60, not a 65).

I can help you with finding parts, finding a repair shop, or recommending replacement options, if desired.

My apologies for the news,

Eldon

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thank you for your help

You're very welcome, and my apologies again for the news.

If replacing, I recommend sticking to the name brands, which tend to be the most reliable, such as LG, Panasonic, and Samsung, for example: http://amzn.to/2CxVZhP

The “off brand” sets just aren’t worth the savings, they have high failure rates and are poorly supported if parts/repairs are ever needed.

If you happen to be a costco member (or know someone who is) I'd suggest buying it there. They tend to have very good pricing to begin with, but will also double the factory warranty to 2 years instead of 1, and they have a square trade extended warranty you can buy up to an extra 5 years for $50 or so which is well worth it.

My goal is to give you the best experience possible! I hope I have earned a 5 star rating! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen before you leave today. If you need more assistance, please use the reply box and let me know.

Thank you, ***** ***** a nice day,

Eldon

Eldon
Eldon, Technician
Eldon
Eldon
Eldon, Technician