TV

Facing TV Problems? Ask a TV Technician.

It comes on the audio stays on, but the video display comes…

It comes on the...

It comes on the audio stays on, but the video display comes on for a minute or less then goes out.

Technician's Assistant: Are there any HDMI cables or A/V jacks (red, yellow, and white cables) plugged into your TV?

Yes just 2 hdmi cables

Technician's Assistant: Was there a power outage recently?

Not that I know

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the TV Expert to know before I connect you?

It’s driving me insane

2/24/2018
Eldon
Eldon, Technician

Hello and sorry to hear you're having trouble,

can you tell me the model number of the tv, please?

LG LCD TV

Can you tell me the actual model number of the tv, please? You can find that on a sticker on the back of the tv.

Can you also tell me if you're still able to see the LGs own menu screens, or if those have gone out too?

MCR65227902
No I can’t because the screen turns off when I attempt to reset it completely.

That looks like a frame or stand part, could you recheck, please,

it would be something like Lg 70LB7100 or 55UB950 for example

70LB7100

Thank you for checking,

Unfortunately, the issues you are experiencing are symptomatic of an internal hardware defect, meaning a faulty power supply or backlight, though there are many possible failure points. This issue could be a manufacturing defect, but is also often caused by a power event (shock/surge, prolonged over/under voltage condition, etc).

This could also be the result of age related wear and tear; as a 2014 model tv, that type of failure wouldn’t be surprising either, as this set is at about 80% of its service life

There is one step you can take here, both as a possible fix, as well as a diagnostic evaluation:
1) Unplug the power cord from the outlet

2) Wait at least 1 hour (60+ Minutes)

3) Press and hold the power button (on the set, not the remote) for 60 seconds
4) Keep holding power button while plugging back in, and for another 60 seconds after. When plugging back in, go directly to the wall outlet, bypassing any power strips or surge protectors.

If this reset process does not work, it would unfortunately confirm an internal hardware failure.

This is something that would require repairs to correct; if you're thinking about a do it yourself repair, you'll need to be comfortable and skilled with electronics repairs, which could include dismantling the set (removing the back panel of the tv), diagnostics testing with a multimeter, changing out boards as needed, and possibly desoldering/removing and soldering/replacing individual components.

If you’re considering repair at a local shop, you’ll find a typical repair to be around $300 for diagnostics, parts, and labor.

For a tv of this age however, replacement will often make more sense. You can get a brand new 4k LED tv with a fresh warranty in the $1000 range.

I can help you with finding parts, finding a repair shop, or recommending replacement options, if desired.

My apologies for the news,

Eldon

Thank you

You're very welcome!

If replacing, I recommend sticking to the name brands, which tend to be the most reliable, such as LG, Panasonic, and Samsung, for example: http://amzn.to/2CxVZhP

The “off brand” sets just aren’t worth the savings, they have high failure rates and are poorly supported if parts/repairs are ever needed.

If you happen to be a costco member (or know someone who is) I'd suggest buying it there. They tend to have very good pricing to begin with, but will also double the factory warranty to 2 years instead of 1, and they have a square trade extended warranty you can buy up to an extra 5 years for $50 or so which is well worth it.

My goal is to give you the best experience possible! I hope I have earned a 5 star rating! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen before you leave today. If you need more assistance, please use the reply box and let me know.

Thank you, ***** ***** a nice day,

Eldon

Eldon
Eldon, Technician