TV

Facing TV Problems? Ask a TV Technician.

I can be watching Netflix or Hulu and my tv goes completely…

I can be watching...

I can be watching Netflix or Hulu and my tv goes completely black but I still have sound, I tried holding the mute button down for five seconds and can hit the power button and a few seconds later the video comes back on, but then a few minutes later the screen goes black again, I'm really confused

Technician's Assistant: Are there any HDMI cables or A/V jacks (red, yellow, and white cables) plugged into your TV?

Just one, I have a PlayStation 4 connected

Technician's Assistant: Was there a power outage recently?

I'm sure there was, it's normal for the power to flicker during the day periodically

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the TV Expert to know before I connect you?

Not that I know of

Answered in 1 minute by:
2/20/2018
Jack
Jack, Technician

Hello, My name is ***** ***** I'll be helping you with this.

A few questions coming up and please note that there may be delays between replies if i have to gather various info ;
Also ,Could you please give me the model number written on the tv`s back cover ?

D65u-D2

Thanks and You have only the PS4 connected to this tv ?

Can you still see the TV's own menu when this happens ?

just the PlayStation 4, when the screen goes black you can't see anything, there is only audio

OK and Is the screen just blank with some background light or completely dark like when the tv is off ?

Completely dark

OK then and you are able to turn it off and on again right away and it is good for another couple minutes or you have to wait ?

I can cut it off and on and its good for maybe a min or two then it goes black again
Sometimes it'll last a min or two longer until it goes black

OK then although I have a pretty good idea who is the culprit here , there are 3 possible culprit

Let me type this down or I just saw your phone request and I can call you if you prefer although the call is $26 extra

Want that call or stay in chat ?

Stay in chat

OK then I will cancel that call right now as it is now posted on the board for all experts and one may take you up on that

Won`t be long , also will come back with your answer

Jack
Jack, Technician
Phone call session started
Ok thank you

Its closed now but Note that you may not see the credit for your deposit right away

Let me type down your answer and by the way , Are you going to work on this yourself ?

I`ll give you the main suspects here starting with the most likely the going down progressively to the least

1. Your TV's backlight led strips , those are failing all over the place and in all brands , here is a link where you can see and buy them for $70 ; http://www.shopjimmy.com/vizio-lb65018-led-strips-16-strips.htm

There is also a video on that page that shows you how its done so before you order anything watch it

If that is not your cup of tea so to speak then to have this repaired at home could cost you around $250 parts included and perhaps $50 less if you take it to the shop yourself .

2. would be the $24 led driver board that you can buy here ; http://www.shopjimmy.com/vizio-791-01c10-0003-led-driver.htm

This is also a good suspect as usually when the led strips fail , the screen comes on only a few secs when it does , not minutes so this would be worth a try

3, the power supply board that feeds both of the above but much less likely ; http://www.shopjimmy.com/vizio-056-04243-g041-power-supply.htm

Finally , you could get a whole kit that has all the boards in your tv for $90 including the main board and those tv`s do have main boards problems ; http://www.shopjimmy.com/vizio-d65u-d2-lwjaudar-complete-tv-repair-kit-version-1.htm

Just check your TV's serial number for the letters listed here D65U-D2 LWJAUDAR

D65U-D2 LWJAUDAS

D65U-D2 LWZAUDBS

D65U-D2 LWZAUDFS

D65U-D2 LWZAUDES

Alright thank you very much, does the whole kit have everything I need to fix it?

All the boards but not the led strips

But again as I said ,usually the led strips will shut the screen down in a few secs , only reason I put them up there is that this is such a common problem now

Here is from that website what these guys say as well ; This model has an above average rate of backlight strip failure. If your TV has sound, but no picture or powers itself down after awhile, it's possible that it is being caused by failing backlights.

Alright thank you very much, I'll get on it.

I would give a shot at that $24 led driver board in that case , its a bit of a gamble but for $24 you will know

Will do, I agree, thank you for your time. Have a nice day.