TV

Facing TV Problems? Ask a TV Technician.

Just installed an RCA antenna. Vizio smart tv. 124 channels…

Just installed an RCA...

Just installed an RCA antenna. Vizio smart tv. 124 channels supposedly are available here. We are only getting 64. Many of those are what I believe is called pixilated. We cannot get any of the 3 NBC channels broadcast to our area.

Technician's Assistant: What RCA model do you have? How old is it?

I can't see a model number on what remains of the box it came in. It was purchased 3 days ago, from Walmart, for $85, and says Outdoor and 80+ miles on the packaging. Sorry this is not very concrete info.

Technician's Assistant: Does the TV menu work? Do you have the same problem on all sources/inputs?

TV works fine with DVD player, stereo, VCR, HDMI cable from laptop, ROKU device.

Technician's Assistant: How long has this been an issue with your RCA? What happened right before this?

Actually, before today we were receiving 4 channels. Today we had a TV service tech take a look. He discovered and replace some faulty old coax, then claimed he was getting

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the TV Expert to know before I connect you?

Getting full strength up to the antenna. We scanned 42, then 48 then 64 channels as the day went by.

rca ant3036wz/ant3036xz
2/20/2018
Pete, Electronic Engineer

Hi, I'm Pete. Welcome to JustAnswer! I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with your reply ASAP.

If you are not receiving all channels and some are pixellated then you will need to add an amplifier to your antenna:

https://www.amazon.com/Channel-Master-Distribution-Amplifier-Antenna/dp/B001PI09SE/

--------------------

Your satisfaction is my priority; I hope I have earned 5 stars today!

Kindly take a moment to rate my service 5 stars and press Submit at the top of your question page; tips appreciated :)

If my service is lacking and not worth 5 stars yet, please let me know before submitting your rating and I will do my best to assist you further.

Pete.

--------------------

Pete, Electronic Engineer
Thanks Pete. I'll order that Channel Master. The service tech who came to the house yesterday doubted a signal amplifier would help get more channels. One or two of the commenters on the link you posted above also said an amp will not get you more channels. But, several other commenters agree with what you have advised. I'll go with your recommendation.