TV

Facing TV Problems? Ask a TV Technician.

I'm trying to see if I can install a vcr and a dvd player on…

Customer Question
I'm trying to see...

I'm trying to see if I can install a vcr and a dvd player on my E390Vl television in the component inputs without having to change wiring in the back every time I want to see either one of these components

Technician's Assistant: Who makes your media player? How old is it?

The DVD player isn't to old maybe 10 years but the VCR is very old

Technician's Assistant: What have you tried so far with your media player?

Nothing there is only one place for component inputs on the back of the TV.

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Video Expert to know before I connect you?

Not that I can think of right now except the optical port is for a receiver right?

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: TV
Answered in 1 minute by:
2/17/2018
TV Technician: Jack, Technician replied 4 months ago
Jack
Jack, Technician

Hi , my name is Jack
Perhaps i can help you with this but first ;

Please send me a hello when you see this so i know you are available ?

hello

Hi

Currently locked on another post so there may be delays between replies

How is all your equipment connected , i know the vcr has to be red/white/yellow cables but what about the dvd , is it the same ?

I am going to wait for the optical audio cord before I continue please give me your telephone number so I can contact you. thank you Bob

Optical audio cable ???

where do you want to connect that anyway ?

Your tv has an optical out and your dvd if it has it will be optical out as well then a cable box will be optical out too , you can`t connect outputs together !

What do you want to do with an optical cable ??

Just answer the question i asked you about the type of cables used and i`ll give you a solution

from the TV to either the cable box or the receiver

You can`t go from tv to cable box , they are both outputs

The receiver is new here

You were asking about connecting both the dvd and vcr without having to switch cables every times

I asked you , do the vcr and dvd use the same type of cables like red/white/yellow ( 3 cables )??

then should I go from the TV to the receiver and connect the VCR and the DVD to the receiver and will the cable box go to the receiver also so I can run the TV through the receiver and listen to the TV through the receiver

I suppose so but you never gave me a model number or even talked abut that receiver until now

This is a whole new ball game here

Sorry but I`m not too crazy about that kind of surprises and will opt out now

You don`t have to do anything , your question will be reposted for other techs. to see and jump in if they are up to that

TV Technician: littlerusty2005, Expert replied 4 months ago
littlerusty2005

Hello, my name is Rusty. Yes, you can connect everything directly to your receiver, then connect the monitor output on your receiver to your TV. This will allow you to use the receiver as a switcher between cable, DVD and VCR. However, if this seems like a bit much, click here. Here is a simple component switcher that you can use to eliminate the need to physically plug in the DVD and VCR each time you want to switch. This will work with both your DVD player and your VCR, it has both component and composite connections.

Sorry I am only doing this as time allows. I have a Denon AVR590 receiver does that help with how to hook up a Sony DVD and a mitishibi old VCR that I would like to hook up to the Visio TV. Can it be done?

Yes it can. Connect the yellow cable from your VCR to the back of your Denon where it says VCR. To the right of that, you'll see the red/white audio connectors, plug them into VCR. Your VCR is now hooked up.

For your DVD player, use an HDMI cable. Connect it to HDMI 1 (DVD), and now your DVD player is connected. Use the Source Select knob to switch between VCR and DVD.

Please don't forget to rate 3-5 stars for helping you. I'm available in case you have any questions.