TV

Facing TV Problems? Ask a TV Technician.

I have a 6 year old Smart set. WOW cable has been out

Customer Question
I have a 6...

I have a 6 year old Smart set. WOW cable has been out several times to remedy issues with my service. I have HD. The sound or the sound and picture were going out for several moments and various times of shows we'd watch. Sometimes there would be "Tiling". They checked lines outside and corrected problems. They switched HD boxes and yet the problem persisted. They took out my HDMI cable, put in a DVR box and new coax cables and the problem went away but the video quality is suffering. Now they think I need a firmware update or a more modern set. What do you think?

Technician's Assistant: Are there any HDMI cables or A/V jacks (red, yellow, and white cables) plugged into your TV?

Green, blue, red and white

Technician's Assistant: Was there a power outage recently?

Only when I unplugged everything hoping to reset it.

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the TV Expert to know before I connect you?

Not that I can think of

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: TV
2/17/2018
TV Technician: Shahid, Technician replied 4 months ago
Shahid
Shahid, Technician

Welcome to JustAnswer, an independent support, pay per question website
Sorry to hear that you're having trouble with this and I'll do my best to help

- Could you please get me the complete model number written on back cover or side panel of the TV?

- What video devices/ sources (such as cable box DVD player etc) are connected to the TV and does the problem occur on all video input sources?

Samsung Model UN46ES6500F I have a Samsung DVD player and a Scientific Atlanta Explorer 8300 HDC DVR player hooked up now. When I had a HD box hooked up, nothing but issues. They've gone away with the new box but now I have these ugly cables hanging from the set and they're going to start charging me. I don't watch TV enough to justify more expense.

- Do you get a normal picture on the TV when playback DVD?

No problem with playing a DVD

OK, is the cable box connected to the TV via HDMI cord?

The WOW service tech though a firmware update might help. No, the cable box is hooked up with 5 coax cables

OK, since TV shows normal picture on DVD that means TV itself is fine

- Does cable box have HDMI OUT port to connect it to the TV with HDMI cord?

The tech had plugged in the new coax cable set and had to disconnect the HDMI cord to get the t.v. to work.

Picture quality is suffering due to current connection setup as 5 color-coded wires call component video that provides 720 video resolution whereas HDMI connection gives 1080 video resolution, can you connect an HDMI cable between the cable box and the TV, select that HDMI input on the TV to see if it improves picture quality?

Hold on, I'll give it a try.

Sure, take your time

Got a better picture but sound went out when I tilted the cable box. I do not see any loose cable connections.

OK, please reboot the cable box that should help to get the sound and reply back with the result

OK, please reboot the cable box that should help to get the sound and reply back with the result.

I unplugged it, plugged it back in. There was a "reboot" in the box display. Hit the power button. Looked like it was connecting back to service. Picture came back on but still no sound.

This is odd, we need to verify the TV first, can you please pull the HDMI cord of cable box and connect DVD player there, playback a disc to see if it gives normal picture and sound?

will do

Thanks

DVD working fine. Have video and audio

Just to clarify, is the DVD hooked into same HDMI input of the TV where cable box was connected and not giving sound?

No, I have the HDMI cable unplugged. The DVD appears to be direct wired to the set.

If DVD player has HDMI OUT port then connect that HDMI cable to it, this way we are testing HDMI input of the TV

Alternatively, you can try any other video device/ source (gaming console etc) to the same HDMI input of the TV, we just need to verify that HDMI input of the TV is working fine

Let me clarify...Reroute the DVD cable to the one I was using for the TV?

No, we tried to hook the cable box into HDMI input of the TV with an HDMI cable and got no sound, correct?
Then that HDMI cable is unplugged, correct?

Can you connect another video source using the same HDMI cable into HDMI input of the TV as a test to see if TV shows a normal picture with sound?

Sound went out before I pulled the cable. I am not having any success switching cables and sources. Could it be a bad cable? It's been o.k. for over 5 years.

OK, since TV gives good picture and sound on DVD player and you get better picture via HDMI cable connection but no sound that shows problem is within cable box which isn't sending out sound signals through HDMI OUT port (though it provides sound when using component video connection, 5 wires), I would recommend to get the cable box replaced by calling cable service company to resolve the problem

5 wires/ component video will provide lower video resolution and HDMI cable connection provides higher video resolution picture so please use HDMI cable connection between the cable box and the TV as you have already noticed the picture improvement. I hope this info will help. If you have any additional questions, feel free to ask. If you're satisfied, please rate me a 5-star at the top of your page so I can get the credit for my work on the website
Thank you

Can I get a firmware update for this tv?

Yes, please click the following Samsung link to get the firmware update file and instructions to proceed with firmware update

https://www.samsung.com/us/support/owners/product/2012-led-smart-tv-es6500-series

Thanks

Do you need any further assistance with this question?

No, Thank you.

Much welcome, please rate me a 5-star at the top of your page so I can get the credit for my work on the website
Thank you