TV

Facing TV Problems? Ask a TV Technician.

TV

My screen went blank. It had sound then I hit TV input and…

Customer Question
My screen went blank ...

My screen went blank

Technician's Assistant: Are there any HDMI cables or A/V jacks (red, yellow, and white cables) plugged into your TV?

It had sound then I hit TV input and now there's no sound.

Technician's Assistant: Was there a power outage recently?

Yes it was working fine. No potter outage

Submitted: 14 days ago.Category: TV
2/10/2018
TV Technician: Aric, Technician replied 14 days ago
Aric, Technician

I'm reviewing your details and will reply shortly.

What's the model number off of the back of the TV and how old is it?

Customer reply replied 14 days ago
Thank you. No power outage and it just went blank

Customer reply replied 14 days ago
the TV is approximately 3 years old. its wall mounted so it will be a minute to get model number

Okay.

Customer reply replied 14 days ago
its hard to get it off the wall so hold on

Okay.

Customer reply replied 14 days ago
I don't wanna spend $26 plus another $35
Customer reply replied 14 days ago
I'm trying to take it down

I'm not available by phone. The website sends that offer automatically. Another expert may accept it but in the meantime, simply reply back to me on this page and we can continue.

Customer reply replied 14 days ago
its 42Ln5700

Thank you. If you use the original LG remote and press MENU will the set's own MENU display?

Customer reply replied 14 days ago
Nothing happens let me try that.I hit TV previously and the sound went out. But let me try hitting menu
Customer reply replied 14 days ago
I don't have a menu button

Hit ANY BUTTON on the remote and all we need to know is if the screen displays ANY OPTIONS AT ALL. Let me know.

Customer reply replied 14 days ago
nothing

Okay this means the screen's backlights went out and this requires repairs in most cases.

However it's worth it to try a hard reset, as sometimes the processor in the TV can simply have locked up.

The first thing you would try, is disconnect the set from power, then press and hold the power button on the TV itself (not the remote), for 10 seconds and release. Then plug the set back in, and also check that the power cord is connected tight at the TV as well. Press power once, and see if the set powers up normally. Try this procedure up to 2 times, and please let me know what happens.

Customer reply replied 14 days ago
okay trying it now

Okay.

Customer reply replied 14 days ago
disconnected then push the power button?

Yup, it drains residual current.

Customer reply replied 14 days ago
I push the power button while its disconnected?

YES.

Customer reply replied 14 days ago
doing that now
Customer reply replied 14 days ago
then do I plug oy back in

Let me post it again, all that you're asking is stated here:

Customer reply replied 14 days ago
the screen blinks

That's bad news. Give me a minute to type this up please.

Customer reply replied 14 days ago
okay

Unfortunately this indicates the set's power supply board has failed and needs to be replaced. This is a "plug and play" part- meaning no soldering or special tools are needed to replace it. Only a screwdriver and about a half hour of your time. That part can be purchased for your set at the link below for $60:

http://www.shopjimmy.com/lg-eay62810601-power-supply-led-board.htm

Alternatively, if you're not comfortable with this type of work, then at a shop this is $200-$250 parts and labor, which is typically not cost effective as a brand new 42" LED Smart TV starts at around the same cost. However if you'd like to inquire on repairs, or seek a 2nd opinion, you can use the link below to locate a shop in your area if you'd like:

http://www.tvrepairpros.com

Other than that, I'm sorry for the bad news and wish there were a quick fix.

Let me know if you need more help. Also, could you please click a POSITIVE RATING (3-5 stars at the top of the page) and click SUBMIT so that I am credited for working with you today?

Customer reply replied 14 days ago
Okay thank you
You're welcome and best of luck. Also could you please schedule up and click a positive rating for me before you go?
Aric, Technician