TV

Facing TV Problems? Ask a TV Technician.

Just bought NS-32D311NA17 / 32D311MX17 LED TV and get only…

Just bought NS-32D311NA17 /...

Just bought NS-32D311NA17 / 32D311MX17 LED TV and get only three analog channels with no digital ones. I have an Exfinity cable box. I followed the instructions from the TV set up and get 2.0, 3.0, and 118.0. 3.0 is MSNBC. When I flip channels, it goes to 2.0 as fuzz and 118.0 as fuzz. Here in Chicago, MSNBC is ch.59 with 3.0 being the regular 3.0/4.0 channel. I have no idea why I get MSNBC as/on 3.0 and not 59? Any channel I dial into stays on 3.0 MSNBC?

Technician's Assistant: How old is your X17?

Two minutes

Technician's Assistant: Does the TV menu work? Do you have the same problem on all sources/inputs?

Menu works. I am not interested in other inputs other than regular cable

Technician's Assistant: How long has this been an issue with your X17? What happened right before this?

Brand new this evening

2/10/2018
Pete, Electronic Engineer

Hi, I'm Pete. Welcome to JustAnswer! I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with your reply ASAP.

This is likely caused by a bad cable connection.

Test another TV with the same connection. If another TV works ok with the same cable box and cable then check again with the new TV and ensure everything is connected securely.

--------------------

Your satisfaction is my priority; I hope I have earned 5 stars today!

Kindly take a moment to rate my service 5 stars and press Submit at the top of your question page; tips appreciated :)

If my service is lacking and not worth 5 stars yet, please let me know before submitting your rating and I will do my best to assist you further.

Pete.

--------------------

you're telling me a bad connection is going to get MSNBC and nothing else? Why do I feel like this is the first response you give to every problem you get a question to? I would assume a bad connection is going to be like a fried light filament - on or off. I have a new cable line that looks and screws in fine. And the new cable line is giving me MSNBC. Two other TVs worked perfectly with the Infinity box. Only the cable is new as is the new Insignia TV. I would assume this is a kind of input channels search problem or the like with this TV. The other two TVs immediately allowed me to watch cable after screwing in the cable line.

A bad connection is the cause in around 95% of cases like this.

Have you checked the cable connections and wiring going to this particular TV?

A bad connection causes high resistance - it is not light a fried filament, either on or off. It results in a poor signal.

Sometimes the user does not fit it tightly enough to make it earth as required, especially on a new fitting.

95% is a surprisingly high percentage. But I won't discount it from what you say. We'll see.

Let me know how it works and we can go from there!

Thanks,

Pete.

with human error being what it is, 95% is not impossible.

Indeed!

I switched cables. No change.

Did you also test another TV with the same cable connection at the same location?

No, but I will.

Ok, let me know the results...

I figured it out. Here's something for your files. You need an Xfinity remote for the Xfinity cable. The Insignia remote - as probably all the other manufacturer's remotes - are worthless for the Xfinity cable.

Yes, only a compatible remote will work with Xfinity cable.

Glad to hear you got it resolved!

--------------------

Pete.

--------------------

Pete, Electronic Engineer