TV

Facing TV Problems? Ask a TV Technician.

My TV was working fine then all of a sudden is says no

Customer Question
My TV was working...

My TV was working fine then all of a sudden is says no signal can't get reception on any channel

Technician's Assistant: What's the brand and model number of your TV? How old is it?

VPCL2 Series maybe 8 years old?

Technician's Assistant: Does the TV menu work? Do you have the same problem on all sources/inputs?

Foxtel works fine remote works well other tv in hous work

Technician's Assistant: How long has this been an issue? What happened right before this?

Tv has been pixelating over the last 2 months where picture goes distort

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the TV Expert to know before I connect you?

Can it be fixed

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: TV
2/7/2018
TV Technician: Nathan, Installer replied 6 months ago
Nathan, Installer

Hi, I'm Nathan.
Sorry to hear that you're having trouble, but I'll do my best to help you. Please give me a few moments to review and reply.

Can you tell me the model number from the back of the tv?
Can you see the tvs own (not foxtel) menu screens clearly?

Ill just go get it
TH-P50GT30A
I CAN SEE THE MENU SCREEN CLEARLY

Okay can you test something else like dvd and see how that works?

HAVEN'T USED DVD RECORDER FOR YEARS AND HASN'T BEEN TURNED ON

My point here is that this is most likely a foxtel issue,

but it would help to test some other device to confirm.

If you can't do that right now, please unplug power to the foxtel box for at least 5 minutes

replug, then test again how it works and let me know the results please.

OKAY I CAN DO THAT
I HAVE UNPLUGGED FOX AND I CAN SEE MENU BUT BEHIND IT THE PICTURE IS PIXELATING AND BROKEN

If the foxtel box is unplugged you shouldn't see any picture at all until it is reconnected

I DONT PLAY MY TV THRU THE FOX I SWITCH IT TO AV WHEN WATCHING FOX AND THEN SWITCH IT TO TV WHEN WANTING TO WACTH MAINSTREAM TV

Okay that makes a significant difference then,

so you are saying the aerial channels are pixelated, not the foxtel channels?

CORRECT AND IT IS A HARD WIRED ANTENNA

Any other tvs using this same antenna? If so how are they working?

THEY ALL WORK WELL
Okay go into the Panasonic menu run the channel search function then check if they clear up
OKAY WILL DO
Thank you
WHERE DO I FIND CHANNEL SEARCH ON MENU
In the tv menu under channels then you’ll see the search function
I HAVE SELECTED DIGITAL TV AUTO TUNNING IS THAT OK
that is it
IT FOUND ONE CHANNEL 44 ADELAIDE BUT THE PICTURE WORKS FOR THAT ONE CHANNEL
no others?
CORRECT :(

Okay that means there is an internal hardware defect here - the tvs tuner has failed. This is a 2010 model tv, far past its service life, so that type of failure is not surprising to see.

It would not be worth fixing as it would cost about as much to repair as to buy a new tv.

Short of replacing it, you may be able to get the same channels via foxtel, so you could go that route.

If they don't offer that, you could also just add an external over the air tuner to pick up the aerial stations,

You can pick one up for $50 or less at dick smith, harvey norman, etc. Example: https://www.jbhifi.com.au/tv-home-entertainment/players-recorders/teac/teac-hdb850-hd-set-top-box/87484/

Best regards, ***** ***** for the news,

THANK YOU FOR YOUR TIME AND HOOROO FROM OZ

You're very welcome!

My goal is to give you the best experience possible! I hope I have earned a 5 star rating! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen before you leave today. If you need more assistance, please use the reply box and let me know.

Thank you, ***** ***** a nice day,

TV Technician: Nathan, Installer replied 5 months ago

Hello, it appears your question is still open.

Do you need more help with this?