TV

Facing TV Problems? Ask a TV Technician.

Lightning hit nearby, TV went dead does not light up. I

Customer Question
Lightning hit nearby, TV...

Lightning hit nearby, TV went dead does not light up. I suspect the high voltage spike came in through the antenna. The TV is a Phillips (P&F) model 49PFL46-9/F7 with a DS1 xxxx serial number. Should I order both the power board and main or just the main board? Thanks in advance.

Technician's Assistant: Is your 49PFL46-9 connected to a surge protector or power strip?

Yes, it was on a power surge protector. Another TV connected to the same antenna went out at the same time, a Samsung 32" tv and I had to replace its main board to get it to work. It was on a surge protector too.

Technician's Assistant: Have you tried to power reset your TV (unplugging the power for 1-2 minutes, then plugging it back in)?

Yes, I tried that first. No result. :-(

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the TV Expert to know before I connect you?

No thanks, ***** ***** a replacement main board for $20. I am thinking of ordering that now too!

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: TV
2/6/2018
TV Technician: Aric, Technician replied 5 months ago
Aric, Technician

I'm reviewing your details and will reply shortly.

Are you saying there's no signs of life at all on the Phillips (no power light no click when power is plugged in or power button is pressed, etc.)?

dead as can be.
Plus another TV on that same antenna feed (through a splitter) went dead and I replaced its main board by myself to make it work.

Okay that generally points to the power supply, since the 5 volt output lights the standby light- so that tells us this is missing. However a bad mainboard can also short the 5 volt line and prevent the light from coming on. Since your Samsung's Mainboard failed when the lightning struck, then it's almost certain the mainboard on the Phillips has failed, however we can't tell if the issue goes further than that without replacing the mainboard first.

What we generally recommend doing in this case is purchasing both the mainboard as well as the power supply board for the set and then replacing one at a time until the set powers up. You may find only the mainboard has failed, but it's not possible to determine that without replacing it first to see if the power light comes on.

I agree! Plus eBay wants $29 for a new main board which is easy to replace. I will start with that main board. Thanks for your help! :-)
The power board is only $9 or so...
:-)

There you go, i would definitely suggest going that route then!

Let me know if you need further assistance. Also, before you go, could you please click a POSITIVE RATING (by scrolling all of the way to the top of the page, and clicking 3-5 stars), so that I am credited for working with you today?

Do you need further assistance with this?