TV

Facing TV Problems? Ask a TV Technician.

TV

Ive a samsung tv less than 2yrs old and it has a thin

Customer Question
Hi, ive a samsung...

Hi, ive a samsung tv less than 2yrs old and it has a thin vertical green line down the right hand side. Its there permanently regardless of the input. Need to find out if its the LCD panel or t-con board issue

Technician's Assistant: Are there any HDMI cables or A/V jacks (red, yellow, and white cables) plugged into your Samsung TV?

HDMI

Technician's Assistant: Was there a power outage recently?

There was actually

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the TV Expert to know before I connect you?

I checked the t-con board for any obvious signs of damage and it appears ok

Submitted: 12 days ago.Category: TV
Answered in 1 minute by:
2/6/2018
TV Technician: Jack, Technician replied 12 days ago
Jack
Jack, Technician

Hi , my name is Jack
Perhaps i can help you with this but first ;

Please send me a hello when you see this so i know you are available ?

Also ,Could you please give me the model number written on the tv`s back cover ?

Customer reply replied 12 days ago
hi, model number is *****
Customer reply replied 12 days ago
I dont want a live call at this stage

Thanks

Did not realize you were in Australia , does not change much except to find parts if needed

There could be a few reasons for that indeed

The t-con , the connections between the t-con and lcd panel or the panel itself

Try knocking or taping on the tv`s frame above that line to see if that has any effect ?

If you received a $26 phone offer or any offers they are automated by the website ,NOT BY ME , I`m an independent tech. and have no control over those, they are optional and you can just ignore them if you don`t want it

Customer reply replied 12 days ago
I done the tapping and it doesnt change

OK then the next step would be to remove the back cover , pull out the ribbon cable from the t-con board and clean the contacts with a q-tip and rubbing alcohol before re-inserting and locking it securely

If still no go then the only way to find out if the t-con or panel is at fault is by trying another t-con , no other ways about that

Perhaps once the back cover is removed you may be able to put some pressure on the ribbon cable where it goes into the panel , it could be the bonding that is coming apart and that would be way more effective a test beside tapping

Customer reply replied 12 days ago
I've essentially done all you mentioned... without using rubbing alcohol.. disconnected the ribbons to check for damage or dirt and nothing there. Connectors look fine.

How old is this tv by the way ?

Customer reply replied 12 days ago
less than 2 years

You` don`t happen to have an extended warranty do you ?

Customer reply replied 12 days ago
No

Was reading something at some point about consumer protection in australia

Something about manufacturer defect that would go beyond the standard manufacturers warranty

You may want to check into that ?

Was looking for a t-con for this tv and i`m not surprised that i could not find anything

Perhaps the store where you bought it would give you their service center contact info and you could get it through them ?

I would try cleaning the ribbon cable for that side of the screen first though

Customer reply replied 12 days ago
I've checked the warranty position and nothing more is available.
I dont see the value in cleaning/inspecting the ribbons again to be honest

You never said you did that already

You said you checked for signs of damage

What is the part number on that board ?

Customer reply replied 12 days ago
I did in my original message ...'checked for obvious signs of damage'
Customer reply replied 12 days ago
BN95-02069A

Yes but did not say "cleaning/inspecting the ribbons"

This does not look good for the panel then

Inspecting and cleaning are quite different here

Did you search for that board already ?

I would think you did ?

Customer reply replied 12 days ago
how else would you check for damage other than disconnect the ribbons?! its implied as much as its implied I took the back off the tv!
Customer reply replied 12 days ago
I did.
I came onto this site to ask a specific question on how to tell if its a panel issue or a board issue.
Jack
Jack
Jack, Technician