TV

Facing TV Problems? Ask a TV Technician.

TV

When i turn my lg on it shuts off all by itself it was

Customer Question
When i turn my...

When i turn my lg on it shuts off all by itself it was making like a fan noise before this now it dont all the vents were cloged i cleaned them but that didnt work do these have fans in them

Technician's Assistant: Are all the cables at the back of your LG TV connected tightly to the right sockets?

Yes

Technician's Assistant: What type of input cables are you using: HDMI, RCA (red, yellow, and white cables), S-Video, or something else?

I have cable but with them hooked up or not it does the same thing its like in the tv

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the TV Expert to know before I connect you?

Help

Submitted: 13 days ago.Category: TV
2/6/2018
TV Technician: Aric, Technician replied 13 days ago
Aric, Technician

I'm reviewing your details and will reply shortly.

What's the model number off of the back of the LG and how old is it?

Are you there and do you need assistance?

Customer reply replied 13 days ago
its about 5 years old modelpc505d-uc

I'm not available by phone. The website sends that offer automatically. Another expert may accept it but in the meantime, simply reply back to me on this page and we can continue.

I'm looking up your set now.

There is a fan inside of this set, but the fact that it's shutting down and no fan is running either indicates a faulty Fan, or the Mainboard fan controller (or the mainboard itself) has failed. I'm not sure your level of DIY prowess, but in most cases the rear needs to be removed to access the fan.

However it's worth it to try a hard reset, as sometimes the processor in the TV can simply have locked up.

The first thing you would try, is disconnect the set from power, then press and hold the power button on the TV itself (not the remote), for 10 seconds and release. Then plug the set back in, and also check that the power cord is connected tight at the TV as well. Press power once, and see if the set powers up normally. Try this procedure up to 2 times, and please let me know what happens.

Were you able to try those steps? Are you still having the same problem?

Customer reply replied 13 days ago
i tried it twice it stayed on about 3 minutes and shut off again

Did the fan fire up? Also are you looking to repair this yourself. or looking for a diagnosis and repair estimate?

Customer reply replied 13 days ago
i dont have much money how much will it cost to fix

That depends on if it's simply the fan that's seized up or the mainboard has failed. The only way to determine is for a tech to measure the fan output to see if voltage is present for the short duration the TV is on, or to see if the TV powers up and stays on with the fan disconnected (a seized fan will short the output and cause the set to go into shutdown). So it's either the fan itself, or the mainboard that has failed and it cannot be narrowed down further without in shop diagnosis. The fan is $35 but showing out of stock below:

http://www.shopjimmy.com/zenith-c4230s12b2-lg-fan.htm

Additionally the mainboard is around $100 but unfortunately- also shows out of stock:

http://www.shopjimmy.com/lg-ebr36496502-main-board.htm

Alternatively, if you're not comfortable with this type of work, then at a shop this is $200-$300 parts and labor (depending on whether the fan or mainboard has failed), which may or may not be cost effective as a brand new 42" LED Smart TV starts at around the same cost. However if you'd like to inquire on repairs, or seek a 2nd opinion, you can use the link below to locate a shop in your area if you'd like:

http://www.tvrepairpros.com

Other than that, I'm sorry for the bad news and wish there were a quick fix.

Let me know if you need more help. Also, could you please click a POSITIVE RATING (3-5 stars at the top of the page) and click SUBMIT so that I am credited for working with you today?

Do you need further assistance with this?

Customer reply replied 13 days ago
why that was a waste of money please cansel my subscription
TV Technician: stevenl1469,
 replied 12 days ago
stevenl1469
Phone call session started
Aric, Technician