TV

Facing TV Problems? Ask a TV Technician.

70 inch, 2yr old Samung TV. Left side of tv dark. Can see…

70 inch, 2yr old...

70 inch, 2yr old Samung TV. Left side of tv dark. Can see but much darker than right side.

Technician's Assistant: What's the brand and model number of your TV? How old is it?

Samsunh, 6390, 2 yrs old

Technician's Assistant: Does the TV menu work? Do you have the same problem on all sources/inputs?

Yes to both.

Technician's Assistant: How long has this been an issue with your Samsung? What happened right before this?

Couple of weeks, I recently moved so tv disconnectd, moved and set up again. Think it was ok for a few days before problem developed.

Answered in 1 minute by:
1/24/2018
Shahid
Shahid, Technician

Welcome to JustAnswer, an independent support, pay per question website
Sorry to hear that you're having trouble with this and I'll do my best to help but need the following info to troubleshoot the problem
- Could you please get me the complete model number written on back cover or side panel of the TV?
- What video devices/ sources (such as cable box DVD player etc) are connected to the TV and does the problem occur on all video input sources?

Un65ju639d
Only other attachment is sound bar.

OK, lets try the first step of troubleshooting

- Have you tried to disconnect TV and cable box power cords from the power outlet for 10 minutes to reset, replug back in, let cable box reboot that may take several minutes and check?
If not yet, please try it now and reply back with the result

No change
Still the same

Sorry to hear that

How do you receive channels on this TV? via cable box or antenna?

Also, can you try a DVD/ Bluray player on this TV as a test to see if picture still stays dark on left side?

I'm in an apartment bldg with cable oulet provided to all residents

OK, we need to verify the TV this point, can you try a DVD/ Bluray player on this TV as a test to see if picture still stays dark on the left side?

No, don't have either.
I'm old but know picture tubes don't exist any more but have been told this tv has 2 picture (tubes for lack of a better term) one on each side of tv picture and can fail individually.

OK, you can try it anytime later on, it seems it is backlight problem that is failing and possible causes are either the power supply board that provides high volts to backlight LEDs inside the screen isn't providing correct volts OR the backlight LEDs inside the left side of the screen have failed/ not producing enough light and causing darker area, I am really sorry about this and you are going to have to return the TV to have it replaced. It will be covered by the warranty if this has not expired, and the replacement will be done at no cost to you.

If TV is out of warranty then first thing that should be tried is to swap the power supply board, this will either fix the problem or confirm it is the screen internal problem/ backlight LEDs failure which is a serious issue because entire screen will need to take apart very very carefully by an experienced TV tech as any wrong move will end up on broken screen, for backlight LED strips replacement. Please click the following link to view power supply board and backlight LED strips image and price info

http://www.shopjimmy.com/samsung/un65ju639dfxza

You may please use the following link to get a list of TV repair shops in the area which will help to get repair quote...
http://www.tvrepairpros.com/
http://www.tvrepairman.com/
I'm sorry there is no easy or quick fix for this problem and it is definitely hardware failure that needs defective board replacement to resolve the issue
I trust my input will help you out to make the decision about this TV repair or invest that money in new replacement TV
If you have any additional questions, feel free to ask. If you're satisfied, please rate me a 5-star at the top of your page so I can get the credit for my work on the website
Thank you

Shahid
Shahid, Technician
On Jan 23, you gave me two local TV sources to work on my TV problem. Those have dissapeared and wonder if you can resend?

Sure, please click on the following 2 links

http://www.tvrepairpros.com/
http://www.tvrepairman.com/

Thanks