TV

Facing TV Problems? Ask a TV Technician.

I have a problem. I bought a Rocky TV February 2016. Today…

Hello, I have a...

Hello, I have a problem. I bought a Rocky TV February 2016. Today the colors on the screen changed to streaks, as if I am viewing through a veil.

Technician's Assistant: What's the brand and model number of your TV? How old is it?

Model:55LF5770 - UA. SN E55F4QNKKPBMNNX. Manufactured November 2015

Technician's Assistant: Does the TV menu work? Do you have the same problem on all sources/inputs?

Yes the menu works and no I do not have the problem anywhere else

Technician's Assistant: How long has this been an issue? What happened right before this?

2 hours ago. No I did nothing right before. Just viewing the tv

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the TV Expert to know before I connect you?

The tv is too big for me to handle so please help

1/23/2018
Dan, Master Tech and Repair Facility Trainer

Welcome to the site! I'm Dan, and I'd be happy to help. What types of audio/video devices are connected to the TV? Cable box, DVD player, game console, etc.? Whatever is connected, can you check each of those inputs to see if the same thing happens with each?

I will. Give me a minute.
Screen is the same for DVD player. This is only other device besides cable box

How are the DVD player and cable box connected to the TV? What kind of cables?

Did you get my last response about the cables connecting the DVD player and the modem? Just regular cables used for these kinds of set up. I have a Roku TV.

I'd love to diagnose this for you, but I really need to see a picture of it. There are probably 5 or 6 different things that can cause symptoms like you described. Seeing it will ensure my diagnosis is as accurate as possible. Please upload a picture to Imgur.com and give me a link to it, or use the paperclip icon on your chat window to send it directly to this chat.

Ok. I will use imgur.com in a minute
I sent one picture but not sure if it worked
What is the full address for imgur.com

Just go to Imgur.com in your web browser and upload the photo there. Once you upload the photo, copy and paste the web address and give it to me.

https://imgur.com/a/tXjeI

Perfect, thanks! This can be caused by a few different things. If you leave the TV on for awhile, do those streaks change at all?

almost disappear and then return with bright colors then pale but never completely goes away.

OK, there are a few things that could be causing this.

First, you could have a bad TCON (timing control) board inside the TV. We’ve seen symptoms like this stem from here a few times. The board is cheap ($24) and pretty easy to replace. If you have someone nearby who is handy, let me know and I'll tell you where to get it and some basic replacement instructions.

Second, you could have a loose or dirty LVDS cable. This cable connects that TCON board to the main board, inside the TV. This is a lot more common than a bad TCON. Your handyman can use some electrical contact cleaner (can get at Home Depot or lots of other places) and make sure it's seated securely. The cleaner is about $10 usually.

Third, that LVDS cable could be bad. This is pretty common.

Last, it could also be a defect with the LCD panel itself (the screen). If this is the issue then you'd be better off replacing the whole TV because the screen is far too expensive to replace.

So, there are a few things that could cause this. I think it's reasonable to schedule it for service. If you want to do it yourself let me know and I can help you.

I really hope that answers your question! Let me know if you need anything else. Oh, and please take a second to rate the service I provided (there should be a 5-star scale on your page somewhere). Don't worry, that won't close your question and you can still respond back at any time.