TV

Facing TV Problems? Ask a TV Technician.

The image is clear and then after about 5 seconds the bottom…

The image is clear...

The image is clear and then after about 5 seconds the bottom flickers and has a double image which lasts about 5 seconds and then goes back in sync. This repeats continuously

Technician's Assistant: What's the brand and model number of your TV? How old is it?

I think it’s a 2014, it’s an LG 50LA6200

Technician's Assistant: Does the TV menu work? Do you have the same problem on all sources/inputs?

Yes. Even with nothing connected and the rotating lg cube it does it. The split line runs across actually about 1/3 down.

Technician's Assistant: How long has this been an issue with your 50LA6200? What happened right before this?

Happened about 2 years after I got it. The tv was on and I left the room for an hour and when I came back it was flickering

Answered in 1 hour by:
1/22/2018
Dan, Master Tech and Repair Facility Trainer

Hi Steven. I'm Dan, and I'd be happy to help!

Are you able to shoot a quick video of this and share it with me? Probably not absolutely necessary but it would help me diagnose this for you.

It won’t let me attach a video. Here are several consecutive pictures. You can see the line under the first text and then the double vision thru the word connected
0875015D-24F7-4D5C-A89F...jpeg087501...jpegA2E1B6F5-3ECA-41EC-AA36...jpegA2E1B6...jpeg332EF7B1-56AE-4A9F-9D19...jpeg332EF7...jpeg4695B87B-9204-4BD4-954A...jpeg4695B8...jpeg
I appreciate your time but I can’t work very much more on this tonight and I am going out of town this week. It looks like the iPad video format is not compatible to attach to this chat

Perfect, thanks for the photos! The only thing inside your TV that can cause this is the main circuit board. Power supply, timing controller, and LCD panel seem fine. >>Here is a picture<< of the board that needs to be replaced. You can order one from any site that has it (Google the part number on the board) but here are a couple of my favorites:

ShopJimmy.com

Encompass.com

SearsPartsDirect.com

TVparts4less.com

PTSelectronicsInc.com

I really hope that answers your question! Let me know if you need anything else. Oh, and please take a second to rate the service I provided (there should be a 5-star scale on your page somewhere). Don't worry, that won't close your question and you can still respond back at any time.

Thanks for the help. Any special precautions, like static protection, to take when replacing the board? I’m assuming it is a plug in part. Is it less than $200?

The board should be less than $100. And yep, it's plug and play. Just disconnect the TV's power cord and remove the back panel... normal stuff, no soldering or special tools. And yes, you should keep yourself at the same potential as the chassis to reduce static discharge.

Best of luck!

Thanks.
Gn

Goodnight!

Dan, here is an update. I could only find a board from shophdtvparts_1shophdtvparts_1. Received it on Wednesday. Put it in this morning. And the image is actually worse. On the original board the image would clear and then split. now it is split all of the time and frequency is faster. Before I email the seller, wanted to get your opinion.

That's strange. What happens when you install the original board?

I haven't tried reinstalling the original board. I might try that later today since I'll probably end up taking out the TCON and Main boards and putting them all on ebay if it looks like its the LCD screen that's bad.

It may be the LCD screen, but normally those lines wouldn't change with different boards. Let me know what you find.

ok. it may not have changed.. might be my recollection.
Had both boards in and out twice. no difference between them. It seems that since I lay the TV down flat on the floor to work on it, it has made it worse.I pulled and reconnected the cable that goes from the main board to the tcon and the cable from the MB to the panel ( its at the bottom of the set. no help

>>since I lay the TV down flat on the floor to work on it, it has made it worse<<

Definitely the LCD panel. Sounds like you have some TABs (tape automated bonds) that are failing. TABs are permanent connections between the LCD panel and the electrical signals that go into it. Sorry to bear bad news.

Yeah well, I’ll pull all the boards and see if I can get some money back thru eBay

Yep, excellent idea. If I can do anything else, just ask.