TV

Facing TV Problems? Ask a TV Technician.

Have an L. G 42LA6200 and it's got me stumped. Don't know…

G 42LA6200 and it's...

G 42LA6200 and it's got me stumped.

Technician's Assistant: Does the TV menu work? Do you have the same problem on all sources/inputs?

Don't know the age. got it as a project

Technician's Assistant: What application are you using?

Applidcation ?

Technician's Assistant: Have you installed any updates recently?

No, the tv was dead when I got it

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the TV Expert to know before I connect you?

I have replaced all the boards

Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call.
Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
1/22/2018
Dan, Master Tech and Repair Facility Trainer

Welcome to the site! I'm Dan. What do you mean by "dead" and where did you get these boards?

It did not work when I got it. No red standby light. Got power board from ebay. Still did not work. Replaced Tcon and no change. New main board and no change. Got another power board and standby light came on but when I pressed any button on pannel other than the volume, the set would turn off. It did the same thing with both control boards I have. I plugged it in to do some more testing and had no stand by light again. Returned that power board and just installed one I got from TV Guys in Florida and still no standby light. Have 115v at back of power plug. I have checked the voltage at the upper right connector( 12v 24v 3.5v ) and have no voltage. I don't have a remote for it. That is the basic history. Diognostics would be much easier on the phone if we can arrange a call.
Thanks, Dan (also)

Sounds like the only things you haven't replaced are the IR sensor, Wifi module, keyboard, and the display panel. It's interesting that you've installed 3 power supply and have seen different symptoms with each. The "any button other than volume" part was really odd. Did you try disconnecting the IR sensor and also the keypad to see if there's a defect there that's loading down some of the signals inside the TV? I would try that.

Disconected the keypad and the ir sensor and no change . With the 115v cord connected,what voltages should I have at the power board to main board plug ?

I just re-read that you aren't getting a standby light. The standby voltage is 3.5V and is created by the power supply. It should be pin 3 of the white connector that goes to the main board. Are you sure you're using the meter correctly?

using a fluke meter to check dc volt . I see the legend beside the plug with the voltages listed . Checked the fuses and the diodes and all seem to be ok. Have not checked the capacitors with meter , only visually . Should 3.5 volts be present whenever the tv is plugged in ?

Yes, if the power supply is operating properly you will always have 3.5V whenever the TV is plugged in. If you aren't getting 3.5V when the power board is defective.

Thanks Dan, I'm not sure I have the expertise to find out the problem with the board. Unfortunate because I have no problem to R&R them and have a large supply of spare parts. LOL . I'll see if I can find a good board.

OK, no problem. Let me know if you need anything else. Oh, and please take a second to rate the service I provided (there should be a 5-star scale on your page somewhere). Don't worry, that won't close your question and you can still respond back at any time.

Thanks for your help. I've learned a few things that will help me in the future. I've made it my mission to fix this LG so I'll let you know what happens.

You're welcome! I'll be here if you have any other questions.

Dan, I found that the neutral was bad in the cord I had. I still have the same problem that the set turns off when I push the input , or channel up or down buttons

But it stays on properly if you leave the keypad alone? That doesn't make any sense, and would point to the main board being defective but that would be very very odd.

Hey Dan, The standby light stays on. If I push the power button , the input, or channel upor down it blinks three times and turns off. I put in another main board an another tcon and have the same results. Doesn't seem like the boards are faulty in the same way , but It's possible. I have never had anything on the screen or a backlight. I pulled the plug to the screen and read no voltage to the pins. I disconnected the key pad and ir sensor and then plugged in the power coard and nothing on the screen. I regret the power cord problem. I checked L to ground and neglected to check neutral. Mickey mouse SOB.
Sam Dennis Bradley
Phone call session started

Sorry, I'm missing something here and can't quite make the connection between the symptoms and what could be causing them. I'm going to opt out, which will allow the other experts to see your question and respond. If someone can help, they'll post in this chat and you'll get a notification. Sorry I couldn't help!

Appreciate the time you've spent . Take care, Dan U.