TV

Facing TV Problems? Ask a TV Technician.

I recently purchased and am installing an LG OLED55C7 TV and…

I recently purchased and...

I recently purchased and am installing an LG OLED55C7 TV and I was surprised to see that its power cord is a two-prong, non-polarized, non-grounded plug. I use a Panamax M4300 surge supressor and am concerned that the TV will neither be bonded to the home grounding nor connected properly between the neutral and load in the AC outlet. Can you explain why this TV has this AC outlet setup?

Technician's Assistant: How old is your OLED55C7?

2017 model, brand new

Technician's Assistant: Does the TV menu work? Do you have the same problem on all sources/inputs?

I have not yet set the TV up, am just preparing to install.

Technician's Assistant: How long has this been an issue with your OLED55C7? What happened right before this?

This is not an operational issue yet. As I said, I have just noticed that the power cord is the 2-prong configuration. I'm just wondering if this configuration means that when plugged in the TV may not be properly protected from power surges, lightning strikes, etc.

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the TV Expert to know before I connect you?

No -- just why is this TV not using a polarized, grounded wall plug?

1/20/2018
Aric, Technician

I'm reviewing your details and will reply shortly.

This TV like most other new flat screens, uses a switch-mode power supply which is different than a standard transformer-based power supply.

The ground plug on an AC cord isn't for lightning protection- it's sole purpose it to conduct any mains voltage leakage to exposed parts of the metal that could pose risks to users safely to the ground and possibly blow the fuse. With the newer highly-isolated Switch Mode Power Supply Units in TVs and other devices replacing the much higher CRT's, the risk of mains voltage leakage to exposed metal parts is minimal. The third Ground Connector has hence been made redundant on devices using switch-mode power supplies.

Let me know if you need further assistance. Also, before you go, could you please click a POSITIVE RATING (by scrolling all of the way to the top of the page, and clicking 3-5 stars), so that I am credited for working with you today?

Please view my reply for the answer to your question.

Aric, Technician
Thank you, ***** ***** explains the situation. I had just not seen a panel that was configured this way before.

You're welcome, and I see the site sent a phone call offer. I am not available by phone but another expert may accept it. In the meantime, if you need further assistance, simply reply back on this page.