TV

Facing TV Problems? Ask a TV Technician.

I have a question about a splitter for a TV. I want to get a…

I have a question about...
I have a question about a splitter for a TV. I want to get a really good one if not the best. I need a 6 way combiner coaxial splitter. Basically it's 4 out and 2 in. The 2 in one is from the cable line from the box on the side of the house and the other is an antenna for over the air or w.e. I'm doing this for my father in law. But I need it to be a combiner so it can have either input. Right now I have 2 splitters one a 3 way combiner to a 4 way splitter which is missing one TV hence needing a 6 way. I want to have one for the least signal loss. Also I need one other splitter by a TV one in 2 out. The FiOS splitter he has is a 5-1675mhz.
1/21/2018
Ronald Brock

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I will be assisting you with your question today. The setup that you are wanting to do unfortunately is not exactly possible. The digital cable signal that is being supplied by your cable company would interfere with the signal that you are trying to supply by the over the air antenna.

The better solution that would probably work better would be to purchase HD antennas for each of the TVs that you are wanting over the air channels for and have them hooked up to each tv. You could have the cable boxes hooked up to either an HDMI or component/composite connection, then have the coax connection left for the HD antenna and run a digital channel scan for the channels that would be available in your area.

He's only keeping one cable box for his living room. All the other rooms will have the antenna. I already have the antenna hooked up to 4 TV's through the splitter in the attic. I have a combiner 3 way that has the cable and antenna box and then goes to the 4 way splitter that goes to each of the TV's. I have one TV that's not hooked up hence needing the 6 way. Everything works fine right now. I just want to hook up that last TV. Rather than getting a 5 way splitter plus the other combiner I was looking for one station a 6 way to lose the least.

so if i understand the question correctly, you have one station that is getting a poor signal over the others on all the TVs, plus you need to add a tv to the system. the best option you can do for the over the air signals when you get that many splits in the system is to get a powered amplifier to boost the signal from the antenna. you can buy a powered amplifier that has a built-in splitter already there for all your connections.

I don't have poor connections everything is fine I just need to add a TV. If I should get that can you give me a link to one?

you may not have poor connections now, but once you put in a 6 way splitter, you will be dropping the signal strength by - 10db, which depending on the strength of the channel, may drop it below the threshold where it will start to pixelate and cause issues. Also without knowing the type of coax cable that is in the walls, that will also cause a drop in signal.

Let me see what i can find you in the way of amp splitters

https://www.amazon.com/PCT-MA28PN-Amplifier-Passive-8-Ports/dp/B000WDR94U/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1516547566&sr=8-2&keywords=powered+6+way+cable+splitter

Here is a link to what you would need. would also allow for future growth. When I was in the cable industry, this is the brand of splitter that we used and they are very reliable. When you run power for this, you will want to make sure that you are using an RG-6 coax cable as anything thinner will not work (ie RG-59)

Ok thanks last question what does the mhz term mean for this application? A current splitter oli have say 5-1675mhz

MHz or megahertz is the range for in which the cable signal is broadcast. most of the cable systems only run on 5-1000 MHz, so those splitters will be fine, however, if you switch over to this new splitter that i provided a link for, it will replace the current splitters you have for your antenna.

I would still need one splitter well combiner before this splitter so I can have two inputs. So with this I keep the combiner but I get to add that extra TV. So the combiner has the cable from the pole and the cable from the antenna and then that has a cable going to the new splitter. So I have two inputs going into this splitter

you would have the line from the cable company and the line from the antenna, going into splitter/switcher, then one line going out to the powered amp, then out to the other tvs in the house.

Ronald Brock
Correct

ok, sounds like you are well on your way to getting things corrected for your service. If there are any other questions you may have, you can set me as a favorite and when you come back, you can let them know and they can let me know so i can help you in the future! Hope you have a great weekend and thank you for the positive rating!

No thank you very much!