TV

Facing TV Problems? Ask a TV Technician.

TV

Everyone I turn the TV on, I get a black screen with

Everyone I turn the...

Everyone I turn the TV on, I get a black screen with vertical white lines in the center. As it warms up, the white lines extend to almost the full screen and then the sound comes in. What's weird is that I can turn it on and off multiple times and eventually I get a normal screen again. No problem! If I leave it on 24 7, no problem! It only happens after I turn the TV off for a period of time and then try to turn it back on.

Technician's Assistant: Are there any HDMI cables or A/V jacks (red, yellow, and white cables) plugged into your TV?

I have one HDMI cable for my Cable box and one for my DVD player.

Technician's Assistant: Was there a power outage recently?

Not that I am aware of.

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the TV Expert to know before I connect you?

I don't think so.

1/20/2018
Mike G.
Mike G., Technician

Hello, I see you were chatting with the site's automated response system. I am Mike, the real life technician assigned to help you. Sorry to hear you are having problems....
Are you available to chat online with me right now?

Please try to get the model number off the back of the tv. If not:
-when did you buy the tv?
-what brand is the tv?
-what size is the screen?
-is it LED or LCD or Plasma or?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
model no: P652ui-B2

When did you buy the tv?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Good question. I think 4 to 6 years ago.

Not likely to help but must give it a chance - please try this:
-unplug the tv POWER cord from the wall outlet.
-wait 3 full minutes then plug in the tv power cord and turn on.

REPLY back here and tell me what happens.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I have everything on a surge protector strip. I have been turning that on and off with little success until I turn the TV on and off multiple times, then... poof! It works! Does unplugging directly from the wall make that much of a difference?

Doesn't matter where, but how long. Has it been unplugged for 3 minutes or more?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Yup!
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
want me to try again anyways?

Na

Do you have tv electronics repair experience? if so, please describe details

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Nope... but I am open to trying anyways.

I wish it were that simple. Diagnosing which part is needed cannot be done just by external symptoms. Unless you just want to start replacing parts inside the tv one at a time until it is (possibly) fixed. That could cost you more than calling a local repair shop.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Gotcha. Kind of figured as much. I don't have any diagnostic tools at my disposal anyways. Just out of curiosity, what do you think could be going wrong with my TV? This would be good information to help them start the investigation when I take it in?

Could be power board or tcon board or main board. Best case is to just make sure they can see the symptom happening.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
That should be easy enough considering it does this more times than not. Thanks for the information... sounds like this could be a TV replacement time or a Semi expensive fix.

You're welcome. All the best.

Please do submit a 5 star rating at the top of this page so that I am at least recognized for helping with your question. If you are having issues with the rating try refreshing the page.

Mike G.
Mike G., Technician
Mike G.
Mike G.
Mike G., Technician