TV

Facing TV Problems? Ask a TV Technician.

My WD65736 DLP tv still shows a beautiful picture and

My WD65736 DLP tv...

My WD65736 DLP tv still shows a beautiful picture and operates perfectly except it has developed several white spots randomly across the screen. Is this a dust problem? If so, how do I cleanup the problem? Can you please help me. Charlie T.

Technician's Assistant: How old is your WD65736?

Manuf. Feb. 2009

Technician's Assistant: Does the TV menu work? Do you have the same problem on all sources/inputs?

Yes it works and its on all inputs

Technician's Assistant: How long has this been an issue with your WD65736? What happened right before this?

It started with one spot about three months ago and now its up to six or seven

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the TV Expert to know before I connect you?

I belive that's it.

1/20/2018
Nathan, Installer

Hi, I'm Nathan.
Sorry to hear that you're having trouble, but I'll do my best to help you. Please give me a few moments to review and reply.

What you are experiencing is symptomatic of failure of the DLP chip. This is a very common problem with all DLP based tvs. What is happening is that DLP chip, which contains millions of tiny actuated mirrors, starts to freeze up. Those "stuck" mirrors result in a white pixel on the screen. They cannot be unstuck or repaired, the entire dlp chip has to be replaced. You will continue to get more and more dots appearing, until they cover the screen.

There are many blogs and youtube videos detailing the process, if you're inclined to do it yourself, though I would not attempt it unless you are skilled and experienced with electronics repairs – you can easily do more harm than good. It is about a $200 part. About half the time, the underlying formatter board (about another $100) also has to be replaced.If you have a local tv tech out to do it, figure on around $300-500 total for the repair.

If you'd like, I can help with finding the part, finding a repair shop, or even recommending replacement models if you'd prefer to go with a new tv instead.

Honestly though given the age of the tv, I would not consider it worth fixing. It is nearly double its service life at this point and even if you fix this issue other parts like the color wheel, ballast, etc will inevitably fail before long needing more and more investment, lamps, etc. Since you can get a brand new LED tv with a fresh warranty and updated features in the $800 range, that may make more sense.

Best regards, ***** ***** for the news,

Thanks Nathan, that's not what I was hoping for but I think you are correct. So i'll just let it play out and then get another TV. Thanks again for your help.
You’re very welcome!
Nathan, Installer
Sam Dennis Bradley
Phone call session started
Nathan, Installer