TV

Facing TV Problems? Ask a TV Technician.

I have a 50 inch HD Samsung tv. I want the output to go into…

Customer Question
I have a 50...

I have a 50 inch HD Samsung tv. I want the output to go into my pc, which has a WinTV card in it. I am afraid that ATT U-verse will block/restrict the signal. I don't know which ports to use in my tv and pc.

Technician's Assistant: What Samsung model do you have? How old is it?

3 years

Technician's Assistant: Does the TV menu work? Do you have the same problem on all sources/inputs?

I don't know if I'd call it a problem. My other tvs are cheap $130 32-inchers from Best Buy. They have 2 HDMI ports and thats it. I wanted to have used those.

Technician's Assistant: How long has this been an issue with your Samsung? What happened right before this?

One year ago we had Comcast and I was able to go form their STB to my pc. We moved and now have ATT and thats when the problem started.

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the TV Expert to know before I connect you?

I was able to go via s video form the STB of one of my 32-inchers into my WinTV card but it only did b/w and the audio didn't work. ATT apparently restricts things.

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: TV
Answered in 1 minute by:
1/20/2018
TV Technician: Nathan, Installer replied 7 months ago
Nathan, Installer

Hi, I'm Nathan.
Sorry to hear that you're having trouble, but I'll do my best to help you. Please give me a few moments to review and reply.

Your tv is not going to be able to output a video signal in any form.

It would be possible to use the tv as a display for the computer, but not the other way around.

Hdmi is a one way input to the tv, it will not output video.

For what you are wanting to do you'd either need a dedicated ATT cable box that supports analog (red/white/yellow) video output to use your wintv card,

or you'd need to replace the wintv card with a newer fully digital video capture card which supports hdmi connections, like this: http://amzn.to/2DxC4zY

Best regards ***** ***** for the news,

That answer is no good.. I told you I had a video card that had worked. I dont need a new video card. I need a work around for ATT..

I'm not saying there is anything wrong with your card, just that it is not going to be compatible with a connection to your samsung tv, as you had requested.

It can work with an ATT box, but it would need to be a dedicated att box or one that uses analog connections only, not hdmi.

No - they represented you could answer my question in writing. I don't want to pay extra. Can you or can you not work around the ATT problems? If not, don't charge me. You haven't told me anythigng yet.

I'm not asking you for anything else.

You are seeing an automated ad by the site for a call or remote session. It is not sent by me. This is optional and may be ignored if you wish.

I sent an explanation above.

ATT/uverse restricts their boxes for copy protection reasons, as do virtually all other cable companies with digital boxes.

If you want this to work, you need to have a cable box from att that has composite video connections, and those need to be the only ports that you use, no hdmi connections can be involved. As long as you use the red/white/yellow ports only, it should work just fine with your current card.

it worked with the Comcast STB but not the ATT STB or Samsung tv. If you can't help me, dont charge me.

I've explained above, twice, how this can work.

If you're getting stuck somewhere, I'd need more detail from you of what exactly you are doing to be able to help you through it, if you're doing something different than the specific connections I've suggested.

Look, I used an ATT STB that was not dedicated to a tv. (ATT told me I can't do what you suggested - namely, get a box from them.) Like I said, all I got was b/w and no sound.You have not helped any. Are you just chargin me $5? I knew this wouldn't work.