TV

Facing TV Problems? Ask a TV Technician.

I have a 2008 Panasonic 50" plasma TV. I am trying to

I have a 2008...

I have a 2008 Panasonic 50" plasma TV. I am trying to connect an Amazon Firestick in to the second HDMI usb plug. But nothing happens when I turn on the TV. The TV does not seem to recognize the Firestick. Will this 2008 model even work with a Firestick? What other solutions can you offer?

Technician's Assistant: What Panasonic model do you have? How old is it?

Bought new in 2008. It is model TH-50PZ77U

Technician's Assistant: Does the TV menu work? Do you have the same problem on all sources/inputs?

TV menu works. No other problems.

Technician's Assistant: How long has this been an issue with your TH-50PZ77U? What happened right before this?

Nothing. The Firestick was a Christmas present. I have plugged the Firestick in to another TV in the house, and it works.

1/19/2018
Aric, Technician

I'm reviewing your details and will reply shortly.

Have you also changed the Input setting using the Panasonic remote's "TV/Video" button to select that HDMI port you're plugged into? Let me know and we can proceed.

Are you still with me here? I posted an initial suggestion (not a be all end all answer) and have been waiting for your reply. Let me know please.

Simply send a reply back if you need further help or are stuck. Also, before you go, could you please click a POSITIVE RATING (by scrolling all of the way to the top of the page, and clicking 3-5 stars), so that I am credited for working with you today?

I'm still here. I was trying to get my TV on to HDMI2 which is the usb plug. It may take me 10 minutes or so to see if I can get the HDMI2 plug working.
OK. I'm back. I finally got to the screen that has all the 'sources': tv, cable, HDMI2, VCR, etc. But when I use the remote to click on to HDMI2, it skips to the next source. It doesn't seem to recognize HDMI2 as a stopping place. How do I sync the remote and tv to stop on HDMI2?

HDMI 2 is the HDMI 2 port (not the USB plug). The reason it skips past HDMI 2 is that option needs to be "named" in the setup MENU (right now it is skipped). Please give me a few minutes to pull up instructions for that.

OK. See my previous message.

Yes I did- that's how I know the HDMI 2 input is skipped. Again- pulling up instructions now for that.

Sorry for the delay. Please click the link below and scroll to page 36 to see instructions on how to enable/name the Inputs on the TV. This should allow you to "un-skip" the HDMI 2 port and then be able to use it:

ftp.panasonic.com/television/om/th-42pz77_en_om.pdf

Let me know what happens once you've had a chance to try those steps please.

Clicked on that link and got a message that it's a bad link. I do have the manual though and I see that the information you reference is on pp. 36-37. I will give them a try.

Sorry about that, I've had the same issue with other Panasonic links. The one above is a quick start manual I believe. If your page numbers are different- let me know and I'll dig deeper.

Were you able to try those steps? Are you still having the same problem?

I'm working on it. Need another 10 minutes. Tv is in another part of the house.

No problem and take your time. Simply reply back when able. Thanks.

I am simply unable to 'turn on' the HDMI2 feature on the tv screen. I do not see anywhere in the manual where it tells how to turn on and off the different 'sources'. Can you find the location that answers my question?

Yes, searching now.

Go to MENU------scroll to SETUP, look for 'EXTERNAL DEVICES' look for INPUT LABEL. Let me know what you find.

OK. I'll try it.Almost there. I did what you said and got to HDMI2. It was on 'skip'. There are several other options Now, what do I want to set it to? My choices are: skip, VCR, DVD, Cable, DBS, PVR, Game, Aux

You can set it to whatever you want. That name will simply be what you select when you want to watch the Firestick.

Let me try that. I'll start with Cable and see what happens.

Okay sounds good!

Aric, Technician
Congratulations!!!!!!! That worked. I'm all set. Thanks Aric!

Excellent and I'm glad to hear that!

stevenl1469
Phone call session started
I never needed the expert telephone call. It never happened. Do not charge me. And if you did charge me $26, give it back if you are an honorable business service.

First, on this page- you are only replying to me- not the site administration that handles the billing. I am a user of the site like you (not a site employee) and therefore am not privy to, nor do I have any dealings with any billing issues. You would need too use the site help pages to contact customer service with regards ***** ***** money matters.