Aric, Technician
Experience:  15+ years in the field. Owner of AV Installation, OEM and Repair company
24739752

My Samsung TV is suddenly acting strange. I turn it on and

my Samsung TV is suddenly acting strange. I turn it on and there is a loud static noise and bight horizontal lines, mostly in green and yellow. Then it turns itself off and comes back on as good as new.
JA: Are all the cables at the back of your Samsung TV connected tightly to the right sockets?
Customer: Yes, hooked up to Comcast cable box as it has been for years.
JA: What type of input cables are you using: HDMI, RCA (red, yellow, and white cables), S-Video, or something else?
Customer: I don't know. I suppose HDMI?
JA: Anything else you want the TV Expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: No

I'm reviewing your details and will reply shortly.

What's the model number off of the back of the Samsung and how old is it please?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Model PN58A550SIFXZA, I think it is probably about 10 years old. If this is a simple fix, great, if not I'll get a new one.

Thank you for the reply. This wouldn't be a pushbutton fix, but rather the start of a fault in the Mainboard of the set (loud static, horizontal lines and then it power cycles itself). Ultimately the only thing on a user level you can try is to unplug the TV for a length of time to reset the processor. If it goes beyond that the mainboard needs to be replaced. I can search and see if that board is available and for how much if you'd like .

This is a "plug and play" part- meaning no soldering or special tools are needed to replace it. Only a screwdriver and about a half hour of your time. That part can be purchased for your set at the link below for $85 (but is currently showing out of stock):

http://www.shopjimmy.com/samsung-bn94-01660a-main-board-for-pn58a550s1fxza.htm

Alternatively, if you're not comfortable with this type of work, then at a shop this is $250-$275 parts and labor, which is typically not cost effective as a brand new 42" LED Smart TV starts at around the same cost. However if you'd like to inquire on repairs, or seek a 2nd opinion, you can use the link below to locate a shop in your area if you'd like:

http://www.tvrepairpros.com

Other than that, I'm sorry for the bad news and wish there were a quick fix.
Let me know if you need more help. Also, could you please click a POSITIVE RATING (3-5 stars at the top of the page) and click SUBMIT so that I am credited for working with you today?

Do you need further assistance with this?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Thanks for your reply. I'll try the unplug thing and see if it helps. If not probably time for a new TV.

You're welcome, and best of luck with the set! Let me know if you need further assistance. Also, before you go, could you please click a POSITIVE RATING (by scrolling all of the way to the top of the page, and clicking 3-5 stars), so that I am credited for working with you today?