TV

Facing TV Problems? Ask a TV Technician.

My Samsung TV is suddenly acting strange. I turn it on and…

My Samsung TV is...

My Samsung TV is suddenly acting strange. I turn it on and there is a loud static noise and bight horizontal lines, mostly in green and yellow. Then it turns itself off and comes back on as good as new.

Technician's Assistant: Are all the cables at the back of your Samsung TV connected tightly to the right sockets?

Yes, hooked up to Comcast cable box as it has been for years.

Technician's Assistant: What type of input cables are you using: HDMI, RCA (red, yellow, and white cables), S-Video, or something else?

I don't know. I suppose HDMI?

1/18/2018
Aric, Technician

I'm reviewing your details and will reply shortly.

What's the model number off of the back of the Samsung and how old is it please?

Model PN58A550SIFXZA, I think it is probably about 10 years old. If this is a simple fix, great, if not I'll get a new one.

Thank you for the reply. This wouldn't be a pushbutton fix, but rather the start of a fault in the Mainboard of the set (loud static, horizontal lines and then it power cycles itself). Ultimately the only thing on a user level you can try is to unplug the TV for a length of time to reset the processor. If it goes beyond that the mainboard needs to be replaced. I can search and see if that board is available and for how much if you'd like .

This is a "plug and play" part- meaning no soldering or special tools are needed to replace it. Only a screwdriver and about a half hour of your time. That part can be purchased for your set at the link below for $85 (but is currently showing out of stock):

http://www.shopjimmy.com/samsung-bn94-01660a-main-board-for-pn58a550s1fxza.htm

Alternatively, if you're not comfortable with this type of work, then at a shop this is $250-$275 parts and labor, which is typically not cost effective as a brand new 42" LED Smart TV starts at around the same cost. However if you'd like to inquire on repairs, or seek a 2nd opinion, you can use the link below to locate a shop in your area if you'd like:

http://www.tvrepairpros.com

Other than that, I'm sorry for the bad news and wish there were a quick fix.
Let me know if you need more help. Also, could you please click a POSITIVE RATING (3-5 stars at the top of the page) and click SUBMIT so that I am credited for working with you today?

Do you need further assistance with this?

Thanks for your reply. I'll try the unplug thing and see if it helps. If not probably time for a new TV.

You're welcome, and best of luck with the set! Let me know if you need further assistance. Also, before you go, could you please click a POSITIVE RATING (by scrolling all of the way to the top of the page, and clicking 3-5 stars), so that I am credited for working with you today?

Aric, Technician