TV

Facing TV Problems? Ask a TV Technician.

16 free to air channels scanned (not Ch.7 and ABC).Reception…

16 free to air...

16 free to air channels scanned (not Ch.7 and ABC).Reception is poor -flickering and pixelating for all FTA Channels. Other TV in bedroom seems to be fine. TV in question is about 2-3 yrs old. WiFi has not been the best

Technician's Assistant: What's the brand and model number of your TV? How old is it?

Sony LCD model no KDL-40R45OA JULY 2013

Technician's Assistant: Does the TV menu work? Do you have the same problem on all sources/inputs?

MENU WORKS

Technician's Assistant: How long has this been an issue with your KDL-40R45OA? What happened right before this?

WORKED FINE LAST NIGHT. PROBLEM OCCURRED THIS MORNING .TV IN NEIGHBOUR'S NEXT DOOR IS FINE

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the TV Expert to know before I connect you?

Nothing

1/18/2018
Nathan, Installer

Hi, I'm Nathan.
Sorry to hear that you're having trouble, but I'll do my best to help you. Please give me a few moments to review and reply.

Unfortunately, the issues you are experiencing are symptomatic of an internal hardware defect, meaning a faulty main/tuner board, though there are many possible failure points. This issue could be a manufacturing defect, but is also often caused by a power event (shock/surge, prolonged over/under voltage condition, etc).

This could also be the result of age related wear and tear; as a 2013 model tv, that type of failure wouldn’t be surprising. This set is already past its service life at this point.

There is one step you can take here, both as a possible fix, as well as a diagnostic evaluation:
1) Unplug the power cord from the outlet

2) Wait at least 1 hour (60+ Minutes)

3) Press and hold the power button (on the set, not the remote) for 60 seconds
4) Keep holding power button while plugging back in, and for another 60 seconds after. When plugging back in, go directly to the wall outlet, bypassing any power strips or surge protectors.

5) After it comes back on, rescan, and test for functionality.

If this reset process does not work, it would unfortunately confirm an internal hardware failure.

This is something that would require repairs to correct; if you're thinking about a do it yourself repair, you'll need to be comfortable and skilled with electronics repairs, which could include dismantling the set (removing the back panel of the tv), diagnostics testing with a multimeter, changing out boards as needed, and possibly desoldering/removing and soldering/replacing individual components.

If you’re considering repair at a local shop, you’ll find a typical repair to be around $300 for diagnostics, parts, and labor.

For a tv of this size/age however, replacement will make more sense. You can get a brand new LED tv with a fresh warranty in the same $300 range.

I can help you with finding parts, finding a repair shop, or recommending replacement options, if desired.

An alternate option to consider as well would be simply connecting an external tuner to the tv, such as https://www.jbhifi.com.au/tv-home-entertainment/players-recorders/teac/teac-hdb850-hd-set-top-box/87484/

My apologies for the news,

Nathan did as suggested. Can not get ABC channels and Channel 7 channels are flickering (non- viewable)

Thank you for trying,

that does confirm that this is a hardware issue then at this point. I'm not sure which abc and 7 are in your particular location, but I know many of the stations in AU are transitioning to MPEG4 encryption, which could be part of the issue as well as your tv is not capable of decoding those new formats. In the end though whether it is that compatibility issue on just these stations or a hardware issue on all, your best options would be to either buy the tuner mentioned above or replace the tv.

Nathan, Installer
Nathan,found the problem.It was a loose antenna cord. Thank you for your suggestions. I do not think it is worth $50 though.
Thanks for the update I’m glad to hear it is working. That is an extremely unusual issue to have from a loose cord, if that were the case all channels would be expected to be affected.Unfortunately I have no control over pricing it is a fix amount which you agree to pay the site up front. We are all independent techs here working on our own personal time in a good faith effort to help and rely on your positive rating here for my livelihood.