TV

Facing TV Problems? Ask a TV Technician.

Tv won t on. Philips model 55PFL5601/F7. It seems like it…

Tv won t on ...

Tv won t on

Technician's Assistant: What's the brand and model number of your TV? How old is it?

Philips model 55PFL5601/F7

Technician's Assistant: Does the TV menu work? Do you have the same problem on all sources/inputs?

No

Technician's Assistant: How long has this been an issue with your 55PFL5601? What happened right before this?

It seems like it turns on then turns off

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the TV Expert to know before I connect you?

A few days

1/17/2018
Aric, Technician

I'm reviewing your details and will reply shortly.

Are there currently any signs of life on the TV at all right now (power light lit or blinking, etc.)? Also how old is the set?

It powers up shows Philip emblem then HDMI 1 then on light goes off.

Okay this generally points to a Mainboard fault. How OLD IS the TV please?

Roughly- a year- over or under? Let me know.

I bought it from a second party and they said it was only 4 months old

Did you buy it in this condition knowingly and are looking to repair it or....??

No it has been working fine until two days ago

Okay, these symptoms point to a failure of the Mainbard and generally requires replacement of that board to fix the issue.

However it's worth it to try a hard reset, as sometimes the processor in the TV can simply have locked up.

The first thing you would try, is disconnect the set from power, then press and hold the power button on the TV itself (not the remote), for 10 seconds and release. Then plug the set back in, and also check that the power cord is connected tight at the TV as well. Press power once, and see if the set powers up normally. Try this procedure up to 2 times, and please let me know what happens.

Were you able to try those steps? Are you still having the same problem?

Did not work

That's bad news. Give me a minute to type this up please.

Unfortunately this indicates the set's Mainoard has failed and needs to be replaced. This is a "plug and play" part- meaning no soldering or special tools are needed to replace it. Only a screwdriver and about a half hour of your time. That part can be purchased for your set at the link below for $70:

http://www.tvpartsguy.com/products/philips-55pfl5601-f7-main-board-ba51reg04012-a51rjuh.html?gclid=CjwKCAiAhfzSBRBTEiwAN-ysWBrEhI4p_4_5YfUi8b8C_Joi29LYPKnq6azwtj5ivBvZGEvdHOFgRxoCz54QAvD_BwE

Alternatively, if you're not comfortable with this type of work, then at a shop this is $200-$250 parts and labor, and if f you'd like to inquire on repairs, or seek a 2nd opinion, you can use the link below to locate a shop in your area:

http://www.tvrepairpros.com

Other than that, I'm sorry for the bad news and wish there were a quick fix.

Let me know if you need more help. Also, could you please click a POSITIVE RATING (3-5 stars at the top of the page) and click SUBMIT so that I am credited for working with you today?

Do you need further assistance with this?

Aric, Technician