TV

Facing TV Problems? Ask a TV Technician.

I replaced the power board on Samsung PN59D550c1f and after…

Customer Question
I replaced the power board...
I replaced the power board on Samsung PN59D550c1f and after about a minute or two the tv shuts off then clicks back on then shuts off and wont turn back on until I unplug it and wait. The tv will do this when something is playing or even when some thing isn't even plugged into the HDMI ports
Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: TV
1/14/2018
TV Technician: Aric, Technician replied 4 months ago
Aric, Technician

I'm reviewing your details and will reply shortly.

Can you please tell me what the symptoms were exactly BEFORE you replaced the power board- were they exactly the same?

Are you with me here?

No they were not the same. I was watching a movie and heard a loud pop..then the tv shut off, and would not restart. It did have a red power light flash..i jad a tech come out and he said it was the power board
TV Technician: Dan, Master Tech and Repair Facility Trainer replied 4 months ago
Dan, Master Tech and Repair Facility Trainer

Welcome to the site! I'm Dan. Looks like Aric had to step away. Do you still need help with the Panasonic?

its a samsung

Perfect, thanks. Yes, I see the PN59D550C1F model number now. I've worked with this model many times over the years!

I just want to make sure I'm clear on the symptoms and everything that has been done. Tell me if I have it straight...

1-You were watching a movie and heard a loud pop, and the TV shut down.

2-A technician looked at the TV, and told you to replace the power supply board.

3-You replaced the power supply board and now the TV turns on, but it turns back off after a minute or two.

Is that right?

that is correct

OK. It sounds to me that the pop caused damage to more than 1 board. Whenever you hear a "pop" there has to be a black spot associated with it. Did you see any black/brown/melted spots on the board you removed?

I saw a brown spot on the power supply board, but it wasnt really dark
I did not observe any capacitors that were blown

OK. Do you have a volt/ohmmeter? I'd like to measure the DC voltages coming from the new power supply. Also, where did the new board come from?

I ordered it off ebay...i am not at home right now to check voltage, bit it seems like when the tv shuts off, i dont even have standby voltage

The symptoms you're describing indicate a defective power supply. We need to check the VS and VA voltages on the power supply board. There's a placard/sticker inside the TV that will let you know what the voltages should be. Probably 180V and 65V or somewhere around there. If you aren't getting those, disconnect the Y-SUSTAIN board and then re-measure. Do the same for the Z-SUSTAIN. Sometimes we get a pop on those boards that can cause similar symptoms. Let me know what the voltages are, and if disconnecting either of those boards makes a bad voltage turn good.

No rush in responding.

Ok

Any luck testing those voltages?

I have not been able to test them

Oh, OK. Just let me know if you have any questions.

Louie, Technician