TV

Facing TV Problems? Ask a TV Technician.

I just recently got a cable box for my tv so I can pause and…

I just recently got...

I just recently got a cable box for my tv so I can pause and record. Before the box the cable was just hooked up to the back of the Visio tv. I could connect to Netflix, it is a smart tv. With the box I can’t connect to Netflix, the message says I’m not connected to the internet. I can’t figure out how to connect.

Technician's Assistant: Are you getting any error messages when you try to connect to Netflix?

That’s when it tells me I’m not connected to the internet.

Technician's Assistant: How is your internet connection? Have you tried unplugging your modem and router, then plugging them back in?

No, I’ll try that now. But when I go to Network from the Menu it won’t let me do anything. It’s stuck on something to do withYahoo and some kind of an agreement. I can’t get past that.

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the TV Expert to know before I connect you?

I don’t think there’s anything else.

Answered in 1 minute by:
1/13/2018
Nathan, Installer

Hi, I'm Nathan.
Sorry to hear that you're having trouble, but I'll do my best to help you. Please give me a few moments to review and reply.

Can you tell me how you were trying to get to netflix? Were you pressing the netflix button on the vizio remote?
Or using the new cable remote?

I am using the Visio remote

Did you change service providers (internet company) at all, or change your wifi router or modem?

Same provider, Orbital. Was basic with the cable into the tv. Got the cable box so we can record but now it says it’s not connected to the internet. Before, with basic I could get Netflix.

Okay you may just need to reconfigure the wifi, as the tv may have been reset when you hooked up that box.

Go into the vizio menu, with the vizio remote, under network/wireless,

it will scan for your home wifi network which you'll pick from the list, and then put in your wifi password.

It should reconnect, and then you can try netflix again and let me know how it works.

Thanks,

When I go to network and press it a terms of service for Yahoo comes up and I can’t do anything

Do you see an Agree or Ok or Next button somewhere on the screen?

Nathan, Installer
There is a “ I accept the terms of service” and “I accept the Privacy Policy” then an Ok. I’ve checked all of these, they all are for Yahoo Widget System terms of service.
I can’t get any other screen under Network to come up.

This must be a very old model tv,

and the change over to the cable I suspect is just a coincidence. The yahoo widgets function was recently terminated, meaning the service no longer works. So if you have one of the 2010/2011 model tvs that used that, the netflix on it simply isn't going to work anymore because of that.

For that, short of replacing the tv, your next best option would be to connect an external streaming device like a roku or fire tv or appletv and get all the same functions and many more, with better performance and lower cost.

But it did the very day I got I got the box. How do I get Netflix now?

I know it sounds odd, but I really think that is just a coincidence. None of the yahoo widget functions are supported on these tvs anymore, and for a vizio that tv is about 3-4 times its service life, it is not supported in any form anymore and there will be no future updates for it.

Your best bet now is to buy one of the external streaming devices I mentioned such as a roku or fire tv

Thank for your help, guess I’ll get a roku.

You're very welcome!

Nathan, Installer