TV

Facing TV Problems? Ask a TV Technician.

Have a Samsung Model UN40J5200AFX. Static shock when

adjusting and screen went a...
have a Samsung Model UN40J5200AFX. Static shock when adjusting and screen went a light grey/white. Can read prompts on screen but no color. Unplugged for day and same screen. Any ideas? worth a $100 service call? It's 2 years old
1/13/2018
Nathan, Installer

Hi, I'm Nathan.
Sorry to hear that you're having trouble, but I'll do my best to help you. Please give me a few moments to review and reply.

Are the tvs own menu screens and smarthub apps affected too?

all the menu screens and smarthub works. Left half of screen is opaque white (but display is still visible behind) and left hand side has vertical colored solid bands

Thank you for confirming,

that would point to internal hardware damage, which is most likely a bad tcon board.

It is possible to fix, but for a 2015 model may not be worth the investment.

Repairs will run you about $250, and you could buy a brand new model with a fresh warranty in the $300 range.

I can help with finding parts, a repair shop, or replacement recommendations if you'd like.

ok- thanks. we will pursue the replacement TV option. Have a great weekend!

You're very welcome!

My goal is to give you the best experience possible! I hope I have earned a 5 star rating! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen before you leave today. If you need more assistance, please use the reply box and let me know.

Thank you, ***** ***** a nice day,

One last thing- is there something we can do to avoid this happening in future? Its the weirdest thing.

Can you tell me more about how it started?
You said static, were you touching the screen?

I touched the bottom corner of the tv itself to pivot the screen on its mount. The shock was the same as touching a person and giving a static shock- not particularly strong or significant, but the effect was instant.

That type of issue can happen, though it is much more rare than a power surge type damage for example.

Having it plugged into a good quality surge protector can help, but some issues just happen by chance and really can't be prevented.

Nathan, Installer
Grr. How frustrating. We will look into the surge protector- thanks for your help.

You're very welcome!