TV

Facing TV Problems? Ask a TV Technician.

I have a Sunsung HD TV. Just last night, it started out

Customer Question
I have a Sunsung...

I have a Sunsung HD TV. Just last night, it started out okay, but within a few minutes the screen faded to almost white. I could barely see the images - it was as if they had a thick fog on them. I read online that this could be a problem with "capacitators". I don't even know what that is, so I'mlooking for a reliable, fairly priced service person. We've had the TV about 5 years, so it's not that old. Please help

Technician's Assistant: Are there any HDMI cables or A/V jacks (red, yellow, and white cables) plugged into your TV?

A red one that connects to an apple box which we use for streaming programs.

Technician's Assistant: Was there a power outage recently?

Could have been. It's been raining and windy and we were away for a few weeks until last night.

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the TV Expert to know before I connect you?

No, can't think of anything.

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: TV
1/9/2018
TV Technician: Mike G., Technician replied 3 months ago
Mike G.
Mike G., Technician

Hello, I see you were chatting with the site's automated response system. I am Mike, the real life technician assigned to help you. Sorry to hear you are having problems....
Are you available to chat online with me right now?

Are you able to get the model number off the back of the tv? If not:
-what size is the screen?
-is it LED or LCD or Plasma or?

i can chat online now. I believe the screen is 42 inches. Not sure if its led or lcd or plasma. I will need a minute to check for model number. the model number is ***** (or 0) K 1FXZA
see above

Thanks. Please try this:
-unplug the tv POWER cord from the wall outlet.
-wait 3 full minutes then plug in the tv power cord and turn on.

-check for the issue.

REPLY back here and tell me what happens.

We did what you asked and it didn't fix the problem. Others I have viewed online have had a similar problem with Samsung TVs that were caused by something called capacitors that have failed.
Hello hello, are you there?

Yes, one minute please.

Do you have previouse tv/electronics repair experience? Because I'm very sorry to say, this is going to be an internal failure that requires diagnosis and parts inside the tv be replaced. If you want to DIY, let me know and I may be able to help you with that here (it all depends on your experience). Otherwise you will need to use local repair shop but that will end up costing more than a new 37" tv.

I know this is bad news and very upsetting but please understand I am here to provide an honest answer. I hope you will submit a 5 star rating at the top of this page and not base the rating on the fact that your tv needs parts or services outside of our control. If for some reason you don't feel I should get 5 stars, please do not rate and just let me know and I will follow up with you here.

Maybe you're thinking- "It wasn't worth it"... Well in fact, for years I worked for a repair shop that still charges $120 up front for an in home diagnosis. So by using this service you actually saved a ton of time and money.

I thought this might be the case which was the reason I didn't go for a more expensive version of your "service". can you at least recommend a Samsung TV repair person who works in the San Francisco area?

Sure I can, but did you see where I mentioned that using a local repair shop will end up costing more than a new 37" tv?

If you really do want to then let me know - SF is a big area, so what is your zip code?

Mike G.
Mike G.
Mike G., Technician