TV

Facing TV Problems? Ask a TV Technician.

My tv is very dim and the brightness is at the highest

Customer Question
Hi my tv is...

Hi my tv is very dim and the brightness is at the highest settings

Technician's Assistant: What's the brand and model number of your TV? How old is it?

Sharp LC-50UB30U

Technician's Assistant: Does the TV menu work? Do you have the same problem on all sources/inputs?

Yes it works, but the picture is very dim, barely see anything

Technician's Assistant: How long has this been an issue with your LC-50UB30U? What happened right before this?

Last night it worked fine, this morning when I turned it on the picture was very dim, so I went into the setting:brigthness and put it all the way up, but it doesn't do anything.

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the TV Expert to know before I connect you?

That's it

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: TV
1/9/2018
TV Technician: Aric, Technician replied 6 months ago
Aric, Technician

I'm reviewing your details and will reply shortly.

How long have you owned the set for please? Also is the screen dim with all sources you view (cable, internet apps- even the MENU)?

I’ve had the TV set for 2 years. The screen is dim for all sources.

Thank you. How dim are we talking- is it barely visible almost shadowy, or just "darker than it's always been"?

Barely visible. I have to turn the lights off from the room at night so I can see a still low dim picture.

Alright, unfortunately this points directly to the Power supply/LED board (that drives the lighting in the screen), prematurely failing, and we sadly see this very often with current LED sets. In most cases the power supply/LED board needs to be replaced to fix the issue.

However it's worth it to try a hard reset, as sometimes the processor in the TV can simply have locked up.

The first thing you would try, is disconnect the set from power, then press and hold the power button on the TV itself (not the remote), for 10 seconds and release. Then plug the set back in, and also check that the power cord is connected tight at the TV as well. Press power once, and see if the set powers up and displays normally. Try this procedure up to 2 times, and please let me know what happens.

Were you able to try those steps? Are you still having the same problem?

Still having same problem.

That's bad news. Give me a minute to type this up please.

Unfortunately this indicates the set's power supply/LED board has failed and needs to be replaced. This is a "plug and play" part- meaning no soldering or special tools are needed to replace it. Only a screwdriver and about a half hour of your time. That part can be purchased for your set at the link below for $60:

http://www.tvpartsguy.com/products/sharp-lc-50ub30u-power-supply-board-fsp193-3psz01s-0500-0605-0840.html?gclid=Cj0KCQiAyszSBRDJARIsAHAqQ4pRqzRcqj9KTuO0hgeEXVFVtT-MqisXG13s9-4WIYfR3ffSzkh-FzkaAmdEEALw_wcB

Alternatively, if you're not comfortable with this type of work, then at a shop this is $200-$250 parts and labor, and if you'd like to inquire on repairs, or seek a 2nd opinion, you can use the link below to locate a shop in your area:

http://www.tvrepairpros.com

Other than that, I'm sorry for the bad news and wish there were a quick fix.

Let me know if you need more help. Also, could you please click a POSITIVE RATING (3-5 stars at the top of the page) and click SUBMIT so that I am credited for working with you today?

Do you need further assistance with this?

Is there a video or step by step tutorial on how to replace this?

There are dozens of videos on YouTube if you search "TV power supply board replacement" and the procedure is the same with all brand and model flat screen.

There's one here posted by Shop Jimmy. It's for a Vizio set but the process is exactly the same:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L0WnCxvdamg

does the power supply board need to have a specific version? Or the one on the link will work?

The one at the link states it's for your model. If you want to be sure you can check the part number against the one in your set.

Let me know if you need further assistance. Also, before you go, could you please click a POSITIVE RATING (by scrolling all of the way to the top of the page, and clicking 3-5 stars), so that I am credited for working with you today?

OK

Did you need anything further?