TV

Facing TV Problems? Ask a TV Technician.

TV

My Toshiba 55VX700U the power button is blinking. 2010.

Customer Question
My Toshiba 55VX700U the...

My Toshiba 55VX700U the power button is blinking.

Technician's Assistant: How old is your 55V?

2010

Technician's Assistant: Does the TV menu work? Do you have the same problem on all sources/inputs?

Nothing will turn on, just the lights on the bottom turns on

Technician's Assistant: How long has this been an issue with your 55V? What happened right before this?

Just happened last monday. we watched tv the night before with no problems

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the TV Expert to know before I connect you?

No thats it.

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: TV
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
1/9/2018
TV Technician: Dan, Master Tech and Repair Facility Trainer replied 1 month ago
Dan, Master Tech and Repair Facility Trainer

Welcome to the site! I'm Dan, and I'd be happy to help. It looks like you've gone over some basic information with our automated system, so I just have a couple questions to make sure I know what's going on.

1-What color is it flashing, and is there any discernible pattern (e.g. 5 blinks--pause--5 blinks... could be any number).

2-Does it start flashing as soon as you connect the power cord, or only after you press the power button?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I didn't notice a pattern to the blinking.When I press the power button.

Thank you. I've worked with this model a lot, and this definitely appears to be an internal failure. Do you have any desire to get inside the TV yourself to make repairs? Or do you need a diagnosis and cost on repair?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I have a little technical skill so I guess I would say yes I will get in it.But what would be the diagnosis and price?

I've worked with these Toshiba models many times and in my experience, symptoms like this can stem from a couple different areas.

The first area of concern is the power supply board. Specifically, the capacitors on that board fail with pretty alarming regularly. If it's just the capacitors, you can expect a $100-$150 bill (inexpensive parts, but lots of labor). If the whole board needs to be replaced, it'd be more like $250 (less labor, but a more expensive part).

The next area of concern is the main/control board. In my experience, failure here is less common than the power supply board but it's definitely worth mentioning because it could cause the exact symptoms you're seeing. Repair here would require board replacement, and that's usually $100 more than the power supply for this model.

The last possibility would be the LCD panel (the screen itself) which would include the timing control (aka “t-con”) board. It would be pretty rare for a failure here to cause these symptoms, but I've been around long enough to know you never say never. The timing control board is typically similar in price to the power supply. If the panel itself is your issue, you'd be better off replacing the TV because a new panel would be far too expensive.

If this was my TV, I would definitely schedule it for service. Evaluation fees are usually $50-$75 depending on where you live but most of that would be put toward the final cost, should you decide to let them repair it. If you want me to find a local technician, just post back with your zip code.

I'm sorry to bear bad news, but I hope this answers your question. If you need any clarification, fire away. If you're good to go, please don't log off without rating my service as that is the only way I receive credit for answering questions here. I hope I was excellent!

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
find me a technician zip is 78415

Sure! Call Marco Electronics at(###) ###-#### They're on Morgan Avenue, and should be able to take care of this. They're NESDA members, which is what you want!

Do you still need help on this?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
No

OK, great! I hope everything is well. Let me know if anything else comes up.