TV

Facing TV Problems? Ask a TV Technician.

I don't understand the difference between QLED, LED,

Customer Question
I don't understand the...

I don't understand the difference between QLED, LED, OLED,LCD. I Just want high quality picture with great audio and great picture. I do watch a lot of TV since I'm a senior and retired.

Technician's Assistant: What's the brand and model number of your TV? How old is it?

I have a Sony Brava about 8 to 9 years old It works great 55 inch but I want a 65 inch tv

Technician's Assistant: Does the TV menu work? Do you have the same problem on all sources/inputs?

Menu works I just want a larger screen. I'm thinking about a samsung

Technician's Assistant: How long has this been an issue with your Sony? What happened right before this?

I have no problem with my Sony I just want a 65 inch tv

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the TV Expert to know before I connect you?

Best tv to buy and is Samsung one of the top of the line?

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: TV
1/8/2018
TV Technician: Nathan, Installer replied 3 months ago
Nathan, Installer

Hi, I'm Nathan.
Sorry to hear that you're having trouble, but I'll do my best to help you. Please give me a few moments to review and reply.

I'm not having any problem with my Sony I just want a 65 inch tv and am confused at which one I should get with all the different features. Just a simple answer I'm thinking about a Samsung don't know about all the different Qled, led, etc.
I do not want to call you I've asked several questions and need a simple answer.

I'm working on sending you a detailed reply, please give me a few moments to do so.

Thank you, ***** ***** send the answer to my email which I provided.

Overall these all work on similar technology.

LCDs came first, which is an lcd screen with fluorescent backlighting.

LED is an lcd screen with led backlights, which gives better dim/bright control in different areas of the screen.

OLED is the latest technology, there is no lcd screen but rather individual pixels light up and change color on their own, giving an almost infinite variety of colors and brighness levels, as well as very deep blacks for great contrast.

Qled is a bit misleading as it is closer to an LED tv than an OLED, just with smaller pixel sizes. This is a misleading marketing term used by samsung and I would not consider their qled tvs to be of the same quality as a real OLED tv.

In my opinion, right now the best tv on the market is going to be an LG OLED tv, such as http://amzn.to/2D98UVc

Following OLED, the samsung qled would be the next best option: http://amzn.to/2qJUOqA
I would personally not consider any of the current sony models, as their hardware quality and reliability have gone down considerably in recent years.

If you happen to be a costco member (or know someone who is) I'd suggest buying it there. They tend to have very good pricing to begin with, but will also double the factory warranty to 2 years instead of 1, and they have a square trade extended warranty you can buy up to an extra 5 years for $50 or so which is well worth it.

Best regards,

Nathan, Installer