TV

Facing TV Problems? Ask a TV Technician.

TV

I have a 60 plasma lg screen turns on very dim snow then…

I have a 60...

I have a 60 plasma lg screen turns on very dim snow then turns to black screen then powers off all within 30 seconds..the red light goes out during whole time and it clicks then shuts off please help..hope it's a cheap repair as opposed to replacing...kinda ok with electronics

Technician's Assistant: Is your LG TV connected to a surge protector or power strip?

Surge protector. And we did have a problem with power surge shortly ago and now this happens...thinking maybe my surge protector didn't protect

Technician's Assistant: Have you tried to power reset your TV (unplugging the power for 1-2 minutes, then plugging it back in)?

Yes...and directly to wall not thru protector to try it

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the TV Expert to know before I connect you?

Just that I'm ready...got back of tv apart and have a ohms meter. Lol

1/7/2018
Dan, Master Tech and Repair Facility Trainer

Welcome to the site! I'm Dan, and I'd be happy to help. It looks like you've gone over some basic information with our automated system, so I just have a couple questions to make sure I know what's going on.

What's the model number on the back of the TV? Have any repairs ever been made to it?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
No repairs have been done..it's not that old..model #60pz550-ua
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
60pz550-ua..and it's not that old..
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
How long is response times...

Response times vary. I had to step out of the office for a bit, but I'm back now. I need to know if you want to repair this yourself or if you want a repair quote for a local pro.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I want to repiar myself
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I don't have money wife going thru breast cancer so looking for cheapest way out. Thank you

OK. Let's take a look at the capacitors.

The first thing I would do is disconnect the power cord from the wall, and let the TV sit for 5 minutes. Then I would lay the TV face down on a flat surface that has been lined with a blanket. Then, I would remove the TV's pedestal stand, and also the rear panel (lots of screws... be careful where you put them).

Now I would find the power supply board. It'll be the first large board I would find while tracing the AC power receptacle into the TV. I would have a good close look at the board, paying particularly close attention to the capacitors. I would look to see if any of them are even slightly puffy on top, like >>these<<. A good capacitor will be completely flat on top... almost concave. Any puffiness/convexity at all, I need to know about it.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
None of them is popped up at the top..perfectly flat

OK, now we need to measure the DC voltage coming off of the TV's power supply circuit board. The power supply is usually in the middle, and is where the AC input from the outlet goes from the wall. It converts that AC into DC for the TV's boards to use.

Set your meter to DCV, and place the black lead on any exposed chassis metal for ground. Then use the red lead and probe each and every wire coming off of that board (there should be a few). There are different wiring harnesses going to the different boards, and several wires in each harness.

We need to get a good picture of what the power supply is doing, before we move on.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
With tv plugged in

Yes. To get DC voltage out of the board, you need AC voltage coming in from the wall outlet.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ok..I got my meter set on 200m and getting fluxuent readings on some wires and none on others

OK, good job. Thanks! Now, look on the circuit board next to those wires you were measuring. We're looking for a label that tells us which wire is the 5V standby line. It's probably labeled "STBY" or "5V" or similar. Measuring this one is a little different....

Disconnect the TV's power cord, and set your meter to 10 or 20V range. Now put your meter leads in place, ready to measure. While you hold your leads steady, watch your meter and have someone else connect the power cord.

Do you see 5V on your meter, even briefly?

If you can't find the wire I'm talking about, let me know and I'll dig up a picture.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I sent you a picture of my board..I think I found it...it's on 2 plugs and it says m5v. Is that the one...did you get my pic..
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
if so o didn't get anything providing my meter is working ok and I got it set right. Lol

I didn't get a photo, but let me find a photo of your board. Hand on a sec. I'll mark the 5V line.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I plug my meter into the 110 wall plug and it don't read 110..I set it for dcv and my wife's are plugged into com. Black And v ohms mA. Red
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Wires...lol
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
You can't get pics

If you're measuring AC (like a wall plug) then the meter needs to be on ACV. Black and red are reversible but they need to be in the top 2 slots (not the bottom).

Measuring DC is different. The meter needs to be on DCV, with black on ground (or chassis metal) and the red goes on the point you're trying to measure (like the 5V line).

Hang on for a picture of the point I want you to measure.

OK, I'm looking at your board and I don't think I need to post a picture because the M5V wire is exactly what I wanted you to measure. Whenever the TV is plugged into the power outlet, that M5V wire should have 5V on it (VDC). If you don't have 5V, then the power supply board (the board you're measuring) should be replaced.

This is actually the most common board to fail in your model TV, so you're in the same boat as a lot of other people! Usually, there are some transistors and resistors on the board that short out and cause the board to fail.

There is a "repair kit" that you can get >>here<< but that's only if you're already comfortable with component level repair and soldering. Most folks just opt to replace the whole board. The board can be purchased >>here<< normally, but it looks like they're out of stock. I suggest clicking the "Email me" link on that page.

Let me know if you need anything else. Oh, and please take a second to rate the service I provided (there should be a 5-star scale on your page somewhere). Don't worry, that won't close your question and you can still respond back at any time.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ok..thanks

You're welcome!