TV

Facing TV Problems? Ask a TV Technician.

TV

I have a Panasonic 55" TV that 7 years old...the TV just…

Customer Question
I have a Panasonic...

I have a Panasonic 55" TV that 7 years old...the TV just suddenly shut off and I can get it to power up...I unplugged the TV and when I try powering back the red light comes on and then it continuously flashes and no image appears...

Technician's Assistant: How old is your 55?

Need information if it worth getting fixed or should I buy a new tv??

Technician's Assistant: Does the TV menu work? Do you have the same problem on all sources/inputs?

It is 7 years old...

Technician's Assistant: How long has this been an issue with your 55? What happened right before this?

TV working fine before and the problem occurred last night....

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the TV Expert to know before I connect you?

No this is all info I have...

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: TV
1/7/2018
TV Technician: Aric, Technician replied 1 month ago
Aric, Technician

I'm reviewing your details and will reply shortly.

What is the model number off of the back of the TV?

What pattern is that red light flashing (for example: 7 blinks, 7 blinks, etc.)?

Are you there and do you need assistance with this?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I was getting the info...

Okay, thank you.

I'm still here. Still waiting for the info requested at 11:54. If you need help- simply reply back- thanks!

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I rather not pay any more until I get an answer if TV can be fixed sending the info

I'm not sending any offers asking fro any more money. If you're unable to reply back with the basic info requested then this isn't going anywhere and I will opt out now.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Model tcp55gt30
Serial
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Serial mh10840345
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Manufactured March 2011
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I tried calling u and could not get through...
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Will I get a text message alerting me that I have received a response?How much was my cc charged so far?
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thank u for the info...I will be waiting ur response within the next 24 hours...main Lyons need to know if it is at all worth it to fix this problem or should I get another tv...thank u!
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
When response is sent to me please specify how much my cc was charged and if I will be incurring any further or future charges... I appreciate attention and time in making sure this info is provided....
TV Technician: Dan, Master Tech and Repair Facility Trainer replied 1 month ago
Dan, Master Tech and Repair Facility Trainer

Welcome to the site! Different expert here. I'm Dan, and I'd be happy to help. I'm not privy to billing information, but you can send the customer service folks an email >>here<<.

As for the TV, I see you have a TC-P55GT30 that is giving you trouble. This model was designed with a self-diagnosis feature. When something inside the TV fails (e.g. a circuit board) that front panel LED will flash in a certain pattern, and the pattern can tell us a lot about what's wrong. Can you take a look at the pattern, and report back?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Hello Dan. The red led light just keeps flashing...do I need to count how many flashes per second?

Not per second. It should flash a certain number of times, then pause briefly, then flash again. If there isn't a pattern, try disconnecting the power cord for a few minutes, then reconnecting... then count the flashes.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Okay. I will try that. Will respond back as soon as I can or can determine the pattern.

OK

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
The pattern is 7 flashes then a pause continuously...

Ah ha, OK thanks for checking on that. Inside your TV, there are 14 circuit boards. Each one is labeled with letters, like "C2" or "SS." When that front LED flashes in a pattern of 7 like you're seeing, the TV thinks the "SU" and/or "SD" circuit boards have failed. Sometimes the self-diagnosis is wrong, but it's usually pretty good, or at least gives us a good place to start troubleshooting/repair.

Do you have any desire to go inside the TV to investigate? I can help, then we can order a circuit board and I can help you replace it. We would probably spend $50-$100.

Otherwise, you should seek service locally with >>this link<<. Repair cost will vary depending on where you live and exactly what's wrong, but will be much higher than doing it yourself (usually $250 or so).

Let me know what you want to do! I'm good either way.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Well I will certainly need help figuring this out...but I am willing to try it...

OK no worries, that's why I'm here. Hang on a sec and let me upload some disassembly instructions.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Send me the instructions and I will attempt following it...today Sunday and I am not at work...

OK disconnect the power cord then use >>this diagram<< to remove the rear panel. There are 37 screws that need to come out, so keep a bowl nearby.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Okay. Let me get set up here. And I will keep u informed as proceed with process. It going to take me awhile to remove the 30 + screws...hot to see if I have the right tool to remove the scrws...

No rush. I'll just keep posting info/steps to follow. Catch up when you can.

Once the back panel is off, take a look at >>this diagram<< to see which board is which. I outlined the SD & SU in red. They look pretty much the same. The SU controls the top half of the screen, and the SD controls the bottom half.

>>Here<< is what the SU looks like. I've outlined the IC's (integrated circuits) in red. Use a bright light and a magnifying glass, and look as closely as you can at those areas. Your IC's are probably covered with an aluminum heatsink like in the picture, but look as closely as you can. You're looking for brown/burnt areas, melting, or anything else that looks weird.

Once you get into this beast and can look closely at both of the boards, let me know. Absolutely no rush. Just respond when you can, and I'll get an email.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I got the right tool and I am now removing the screws. Will keep u informed when I am done or have the panel removed...

OK

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I just removed the back panel...what to do next...

Read up a few entries. The one that starts with "No Rush..."

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Can we call u now

No, sorry. It's typing only for me. Did you see the link that shows you which boards the SD and SU are?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I had a next door neighbor look at the boards with me and he did not see any thing burnt or out of the ordinary...

Teamwork! I like it.

OK, so the SD and SU boards look normal. Now, do you see the big board that the SD and SU are connected to? That's the SC board, and that's the next thing I want you to check. Spend some time, and look all over for anything out of the ordinary.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I checked that with my neighbor and that nord does not look that anything is wrong ...
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
What my neighbor suggested is going to a local TV repairman to take a look as I really do not know what I am looking at...
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I know ur trying. And I thought it would be easy to see if anything g was wrong but it does not appear to be so easy....

If something was burnt or melted, you would know. Since nothing was obvious during our visual inspection, there are a couple different things we can do.

1-Visit a local technician. Tell them the model number, the flash code, and what you've already inspected. Diagnostics would run about $50 depending on where you live, but that fee should be put toward the final repair bill.

2-We can replace the SD and SU boards. They're about $60/ea and there's a good chance it will fix it.

I totally understand if you want to visit someone locally. Sometimes these internet help sessions aren't the best at the hands-on side of things. I can see if there's a decent technician around you... just need your zip code.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Zip code is 86303 Prescott az. I was recommended to TV worx..
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Let me know what u think....

Yep, TV Worx is the only NESDA member shop near you.

1450 W. Gurley Street(###) ###-####/p>

Let me know if you need anything else. Oh, and please take a second to rate the service I provided (there should be a 5-star scale on your page somewhere). Don't worry, that won't close your question and you can still respond back at any time.

Do you still need help with this?