TV

Facing TV Problems? Ask a TV Technician.

Just went off, won't come back on red light off on front. It…

Customer Question
Just went off...

Just went off , won't come back on red light off on front

Technician's Assistant: What's the brand and model number of your TV? How old is it?

It is an LG model 60pZ550

Technician's Assistant: Does the TV menu work? Do you have the same problem on all sources/inputs?

Just this one

Technician's Assistant: How long has this been an issue with your 60PZ550? What happened right before this?

It just went off

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the TV Expert to know before I connect you?

No not now

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: TV
1/6/2018
TV Technician: Aric, Technician replied 6 months ago
Aric, Technician

I'm reviewing your details and will reply shortly.

Generally the set shutting down like this with no power light lit- indicates the power supply board has suddenly failed- and likely needs to be replaced.

However it's worth it to try a hard reset, as sometimes the processor in the TV can simply have locked up.

The first thing you would try, is disconnect the set from power, then press and hold the power button on the TV itself (not the remote), for 10 seconds and release. Then plug the set back in, and also check that the power cord is connected tight at the TV as well. Press power once, and see if the set powers up normally. Try this procedure up to 2 times, and please let me know what happens.

Please view my reply, try those steps- and send a reply back to proceed.

It won't do anything

That's bad news. Give me a minute to type this up please.

Getting power to first little copper transformer but no farther

Unfortunately this indicates the set's power supply board has failed and needs to be replaced. This is a "plug and play" part- meaning no soldering or special tools are needed to replace it. Only a screwdriver and about a half hour of your time. That part can be purchased for your set at the link below for $90:

https://www.ebay.com/i/182994780578?chn=ps

Alternatively, if you're not comfortable with this type of work, then at a shop this is $250-$300 parts and labor, which may or may not be cost effective as a brand new 46-50" LED Smart TV starts at around the same cost. However if you'd like to inquire on repairs, or seek a 2nd opinion, you can use the link below to locate a shop in your area if you'd like:

http://www.tvrepairpros.com

Other than that, I'm sorry for the bad news and wish there were a quick fix.

Let me know if you need more help. Also, could you please click a POSITIVE RATING (3-5 stars at the top of the page) and click SUBMIT so that I am credited for working with you today?

Do you need further assistance with this?

I was just following up to see if you needed further help? The site shows that since the question is open that you are still looking for help. Or, if you received the information you were looking for-could you please kindly rate my service POSITIVELY (by clicking a 3-5 star rating by scrolling to the top of the page)? Thanks in advance.