TV

Facing TV Problems? Ask a TV Technician.

We were watching my 50 inch Panasonic when it just turned…

Customer Question
We were watching my...

We were watching my 50 inch Panasonic when it just turned off but the green light stays on. When I turn it on it clicks as if it's gonna start up but no picture. Help please

Technician's Assistant: Are there any HDMI cables or A/V jacks (red, yellow, and white cables) plugged into your Panasonic TV?

Yes

Technician's Assistant: Was there a power outage recently?

No

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: TV
Answered in 1 minute by:
1/6/2018
TV Technician: Aric, Technician replied 7 months ago
Aric, Technician

I'm reviewing your details and will reply shortly.

Can you please get me the model number off of the back of the Panasonic set?

TH-P50UT30Z

Thank you. The symptoms you have here indicate a locked up or failed mainboard in the set (and generally requires replacement of that part to fix the issue).

However it's worth it to try a hard reset, as sometimes the processor in the TV can simply have locked up.

The first thing you would try, is disconnect the set from power, then press and hold the power button on the TV itself (not the remote), for 10 seconds and release. Then plug the set back in, and also check that the power cord is connected tight at the TV as well. Press power once, and see if the set powers up normally. Try this procedure up to 2 times, and please let me know what happens.

The green light comes on and the tv makes a clicking sound but nothing happens.

That's bad news. Give me a minute to type this up please.

The only thing on a user level you can try is to leave the set unplugged for several hours or more in the hopes it resets. Beyond this unfortunately the Mainboard needs to be replaced (which is the AV/HDMI processing board). It controls the turn on and off commands in the set and is what's at fault when the green light is stuck on. The average cost for that repair is roughly $350-$400 parts and labor at a shop and may not be cost effective given the current price of a new 50" LED TV.

Other than that, I'm sorry for the bad news and wish there were a quick fix.

Let me know if you need more help. Also, could you please click a POSITIVE RATING (3-5 stars at the top of the page) and click SUBMIT so that I am credited for working with you today?

The green light turns off when I turn the t.v. off.

Okay, but the TV isn't "powering up" and displaying picture or sound is it??

Whether the green light goes off or not, if the screen does not power up and display anything (MENU items. etc.), then it's a Mainboard issue. Or were you saying that the TV is displaying picture and/or sound at this point?