TV

Facing TV Problems? Ask a TV Technician.

Screen starts bacl. Takes 20 minutes for the pixels to

Customer Question
Screen starts bacl. Takes...

Screen starts bacl. Takes 20 minutes for the pixels to appear.

Technician's Assistant: What's the brand and model number of your TV? How old is it?

Pioneer Plasma PDP=S26-LR About 12-15 yrs I guess.

Technician's Assistant: Does the TV menu work? Do you have the same problem on all sources/inputs?

It works fine when it warms up. takes 20 mins for screen to appear.

Technician's Assistant: How long has this been an issue with your Pioneer? What happened right before this?

I guess it has gradually got worse. bit by bit.

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the TV Expert to know before I connect you?

Is it repearable - something like sower supply or something simple ?

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: TV
1/5/2018
TV Technician: Dan, Master Tech and Repair Facility Trainer replied 6 months ago
Dan, Master Tech and Repair Facility Trainer

Welcome to the site! I'm Dan, and I'd be happy to help. It looks like you've gone over some basic information with our automated system, so I just have a couple questions to make sure I know what's going on.

When the set takes a while before showing a picture, does the power light on the front of the TV blink, or are there any clicking sounds coming from within the set? Additionally, before the picture comes on do you have sound?

power light comes on right away. Sound is on from start. No blinking - just black screen . After about 15 mins pixels start to appear around edges with centre of screen black. After 20 mins or so screen is working properly.

OK, thanks for the extra info.

There are a few different things that could cause this. Are you looking to dig into the TV and make repairs yourself, or just trying to get an idea of the repair cost? It's probably reparable, but the cost will depend on whether or not you can do the work yourself.

trying to understand likely reason & order of magnitude cost. If the plasmas screen is stuffed, it will be time for new TV but if it power supply , or transformer or something relatively minor perhaps it is repairable?. If it going to cost more than say $300-400 might be time for a new TV.

I understand.

This issue is moderately common, and is rarely caused by the plasma panel (the screen). That's good news.

Likely reason: In most similar cases, we find defective capacitors on the power supply board that need to be replaced, and sometimes on other boards inside the TV. Over time, the electrolyte inside these capacitors dries up, and the capacitor itself begins to swell or "dome" up on the top. The electrolyte might even leak out of the top, but not always.

Diagnosis: Here's how to identify the bad ones.

1. The first thing I would do is disconnect the power cord from the wall, and let the TV sit for 5 minutes.

2. Then I would lay the TV face down on a flat surface that has been lined with a blanket.

3. Then, I would remove the TV's pedestal stand, and also the rear panel (lots of screws... be careful where you put them).

4. Now I would find the power supply board. It'll be the first large board I would find while tracing the AC power receptacle into the TV.

5. I would have a good close look at the board, paying particularly close attention to the capacitors. I would look to see if any of them are even slightly puffy on top, like the ones in >>this picture<<. A good capacitor will be completely flat on top... almost concave. Any puffiness/convexity at all, and it should be replaced.

Cost: Minimal. Maybe $1/ea capacitor that needs to be replaced. If you find that all of the bad cap are on 1 particular board, you can save a ton of labor and just replace the whole board. That would increase cost, of course, but it would make the process easier.

Also possible: Sometimes we see this caused by defective or aging circuit boards inside the TV, unrelated to the capacitors I just talked about. Over time, the voltage levels inside the TV can change which can sometimes cause the issue you're seeing, but it's definitely not the most probable cause. Just wanted you to be aware that there are always other possibilities.

Let me know if you need anything else. Oh, and please take a second to rate the service I provided (there should be a 5-star scale on your page somewhere). Don't worry, that won't close your question and you can still respond back at any time.