TV

Facing TV Problems? Ask a TV Technician.

Samsung model LN-T5271F. 10 yrs. turns off then powers back…

Customer Question
Samsung model LN-T5271F Technician's...

Samsung model LN-T5271F

Technician's Assistant: How old is your LN-T5271F?

10 yrs. turns off then powers back up 30 seconds later. I have to unplug it. Any suggestions for fixing

Technician's Assistant: Does the TV menu work? Do you have the same problem on all sources/inputs?

All sources. I turn it off with the Samsung remote.

Technician's Assistant: How long has this been an issue with your LN-T5271F? What happened right before this?

Several years ago I fixed the clicking boot up capacitor problem. This problem just started a few weeks ago.

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the TV Expert to know before I connect you?

That is it.

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: TV
1/5/2018
TV Technician: Dan, Master Tech and Repair Facility Trainer replied 7 months ago
Dan, Master Tech and Repair Facility Trainer

Welcome to the site! I'm Dan, and I'd be happy to help. It looks like you've gone over some basic information with our automated system, so I just have a couple questions to make sure I know what's going on.

When the TV turns off and then back on, does everything work properly? Picture, sound, etc. OK?

Everything works normally.

Does the on/off process repeat? How long does it take before it turns off?

It was turning back on 30 seconds after I turned it off with the Tv remote. This happened on two ocassions but is not doing it now.

OK, we need to run more tests. I'd like you to remove the batteries from the remote and see if you can duplicate the problem. We could be looking at something simple like a sticky remote key, or something more complex like a failing main board (or even the power supply board you repaired). Hard to say without eliminating the easy stuff.

I can’t get the problem to repeat. It happened the last two times so I believe it will happen again. I guess I will wait for it to happen again. Thanks

Yes, please remove the remote batteries and then get the problem to repeat. If it doesn't, well then the remote may have been your issue. It would be very rare for a TV to turn itself on after being turned off. The opposite happens all the time, so this case is pretty rare. Once you eliminate the remote, we can talk more. Or, of course, you can replace the remote with a universal if you decide that it's the cause.