TV

Facing TV Problems? Ask a TV Technician.

TV

We have. Visio tv that when it comes on it flashes Visio but…

Customer Question
We have. Visio tv...

We have. Visio tv that when it comes on it flashes Visio but then goes black

Technician's Assistant: When did you last update Visio?

How do you update a tv?

Technician's Assistant: The Software Technician will be able to walk you through that. Anything else you want the Software Expert to know before I connect you?

It was flashing colors before but the next time we turned it on it was black

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: TV
1/4/2018
TV Technician: Aric, Technician replied 1 month ago
Aric, Technician

I'm reviewing your details and will reply shortly.

What's the model number off of the back of the TV and how long have you owned it for?

Please view my reply and send one back to proceed.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
SV320XVT. Not sure how long we have owned it 3+years

Thanks for the reply. The set flashing colors and then showing the logo- but going black typically indicates a failed "Mainboard". Let me ask this, if you use the original Vizio remote and press MENU, or Input, will these icons show on the screen?

Are you still with me here??

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Are you there?

Yes, I posted a reply at 5:51 and have been waiting for your reply back?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Nothing with either remote

Okay got it. The first thing you would try, is disconnect the set from power, then press and hold the power button on the TV itself (not the remote), for 10 seconds and release. Then plug the set back in, and also check that the power cord is connected tight at the TV as well. Press power once, and see if the set powers up normally. Try this procedure up to 2 times, and please let me know what happens.

Were you able to try those steps? Are you still having the same problem?

If you're still having the same problem, then unfortunately this indicates the set's Mainboard has failed and needs to be replaced. This is a "plug and play" part- meaning no soldering or special tools are needed to replace it. Only a screwdriver and about a half hour of your time. That part can be purchased for your set at the link below for $55:

https://www.ebay.com/i/162560571653?chn=ps

Alternatively, if you're not comfortable with this type of work, then at a shop this is $200-$250 parts and labor, which is typically not cost effective as a brand new 42" LED Smart TV starts at around the same cost. However if you'd like to inquire on repairs, or seek a 2nd opinion, you can use the link below to locate a shop in your area if you'd like:

http://www.tvrepairpros.com

Other than that, I'm sorry for the bad news and wish there were a quick fix.

Let me know if you need more help. Also, could you please click a POSITIVE RATING (3-5 stars at the top of the page) and click SUBMIT so that I am credited for working with you today?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
you think the tv is toast. I’m really disappointed in this tv we don’t use it that often certainly not enough to have it quit working already.

View my answer above please. You'll need to make that call yourself. I've had Vizio sets fail on me within the first year too- it's very disappointing for sure!

Do you need further assistance with this?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
No luck we are very disappointed with this tv won’t be buying another Visio��
I don't blame you! We are not Vizio by the way. I'm an independent tech that repairs TV's. I posted the part if you wanted to save money and repair it yourself. Otherwise just replace it. Now regarding the question you posted, if you do not have any further questions regarding the TV then please kindly take a moment and RATE my performance as 5 stars at the top of the page.
Aric, Technician