TV

Facing TV Problems? Ask a TV Technician.

Samsung Smart TV had a loud POP and the Direct TV box and…

Customer Question
Samsung Smart TV had...

Samsung Smart TV had a loud POP and the Direct TV box and power do not go on?

Technician's Assistant: Is your Samsung TV connected to a surge protector or power strip?

Yes...the other TV power works and the power on the Direct TV work but it says no connection? Not sure what the cause is?? Direct TV satellite cause both to go out....or TV caused it to go out?

Technician's Assistant: The TV Technician will be able to walk you through that. Have you tried to power reset your TV (unplugging the power for 1-2 minutes, then plugging it back in)?

Yes ...tried pulling out power several times on both TV and Direct TV box...Bought Samsung Smart TV (curved screen) within 2 and a half years ago

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the TV Expert to know before I connect you?

Model number help?...bought from best buy

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: TV
1/4/2018
TV Technician: Nathan, Installer replied 4 months ago
Nathan, Installer

Hi, I'm Nathan.
Sorry to hear that you're having trouble, but I'll do my best to help you. Please give me a few moments to review and reply.

So you see no lights on the dtv box either?

This could be that the power strip had a fuse blow, or a tripped breaker or short in the outlet.

Initially try plugging both directly to the wall. If no change, try running an extension cord from another room/outlet and see if the tv will come on there

power works in both surge protector and outlet...now power on either Direct TV box or TV??
Could it be that a power surge knock out both? even though the surge protector still has power(works)? Or TV just went out?
Model is Samsung UN55HU725 if that helps? Let me know if there is any other information needed? Or just maybe take it in to Best Buy?

Thank you for the info, yes it is quite possible that a surge came through and knocked both out,

even on a surge protector a large surge can still get through.

I wouldn't worry about the box, that is directvs problem, they'll just replace it for you.

As for the tv, that would be internal hardware damage.

There is one step you can take here, both as a possible fix, as well as a diagnostic evaluation:
1) Unplug the power cord from the outlet

2) Wait at least 1 hour (60+ Minutes)

3) Press and hold the power button (on the set, not the remote) for 60 seconds
4) Keep holding power button while plugging back in, and for another 60 seconds after. When plugging back in, go directly to the wall outlet, bypassing any power strips or surge protectors.

If this reset process does not work, it would unfortunately confirm an internal hardware failure.

This is something that would require repairs to correct; if you're thinking about a do it yourself repair, you'll need to be comfortable and skilled with electronics repairs, which could include dismantling the set (removing the back panel of the tv), diagnostics testing with a multimeter, changing out boards as needed, and possibly desoldering/removing and soldering/replacing individual components.

If you’re considering repair at a local shop, you’ll find a typical repair to be around $300 for diagnostics, parts, and labor.

For a tv of this age (2014 model) however, replacement will make more sense. You can get a brand new LED tv with a fresh warranty in the $500 range.

I can help you with finding parts, finding a repair shop, or recommending replacement options, if desired.

My apologies for the news,

Nathan, Installer