TV

Facing TV Problems? Ask a TV Technician.

TV

I unplugged my 2012 Panasonic TC-P50X5 tv and now it won’t…

Customer Question
I unplugged my 2012 Panasonic...
I unplugged my 2012 Panasonic TC-P50X5 tv and now it won’t turn on at all.
Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: TV
1/4/2018
TV Technician: Nathan, Installer replied 1 month ago
Nathan, Installer

Hi, I'm Nathan.
Sorry to hear that you're having trouble, but I'll do my best to help you. Please give me a few moments to review and reply.

Do you see a blinking light on the front of the tv?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
No there is no lights

Thank you for checking.

Unfortunately, the issues you are experiencing are symptomatic of an internal hardware defect, meaning a faulty power supply or main/control board, though there are many possible failure points. This issue could be a manufacturing defect, but is also often caused by a power event (shock/surge, prolonged over/under voltage condition, etc).

This could also be the result of age related wear and tear; as a 2012 model tv, that type of failure wouldn’t be surprising. This tv is past its service life at this point, and plasma technology is long obsolete (this is the one of the last ones they made)

There is one step you can take here, both as a possible fix, as well as a diagnostic evaluation:
1) Unplug the power cord from the outlet

2) Wait at least 1 hour (60+ Minutes)

3) Press and hold the power button (on the set, not the remote) for 60 seconds
4) Keep holding power button while plugging back in, and for another 60 seconds after. When plugging back in, go directly to the wall outlet, bypassing any power strips or surge protectors.

If this reset process does not work, it would unfortunately confirm an internal hardware failure.

This is something that would require repairs to correct; if you're thinking about a do it yourself repair, you'll need to be comfortable and skilled with electronics repairs, which could include dismantling the set (removing the back panel of the tv), diagnostics testing with a multimeter, changing out boards as needed, and possibly desoldering/removing and soldering/replacing individual components.

If you’re considering repair at a local shop, you’ll find a typical repair to be around $400 for diagnostics, parts, and labor.

For a tv of this size/age however, replacement will make more sense. You can get a brand new LED tv with a fresh warranty and 4 times the picture quality in the $400 range.

Even to repair yourself I wouldn't consider viable, as the cheapest possible part that would cause this is nearly $200 for the part alone.

I can help you with finding parts, finding a repair shop, or recommending replacement options, if desired.

My apologies for the news,

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I removed the back of the tv and tested the STB5V wire and it read 0volts does this mean that the panel is bad?

The panel is always a possibility on these, but you really cannot determine that without direct board replacement and further testing. These plasma tvs are complex, as you already know seeing all the boards inside. Having 0v there is most likely a bad power board. You would need to replace it as a next step (a $185 part). If that didn't help, you'd replace the main (a $275 part), and if that still didn't help, then you're out all that time and money and down to a panel defect that is not possible to fix.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
This doesn’t help me

I'm sorry there is not a definitive absolute diagnosis possible, it is a process of elimination that can involve several steps and considerable expense.

Given those issues and the age, that is why I would not consider it feasible to repair. Even if you fix the current issue, other parts will continue to fail. These sets truly are built for an expected 5 year service life.

I'm happy to help if you still wish to pursue repairs though, would you like help with parts to order?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
No
Okay how would you like to proceed from here?
Louie, Technician