TV

Facing TV Problems? Ask a TV Technician.

LG 50PA4500-UF - No Power - Turned off while watching

Customer Question
....
LG 50PA4500-UF - No Power - Turned off while watching .
Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: TV
1/3/2018
TV Technician: Nathan, Installer replied 7 months ago
Nathan, Installer

Hi, I'm Nathan.
Sorry to hear that you're having trouble, but I'll do my best to help you. Please give me a few moments to review and reply.

Unfortunately, the issues you are experiencing are symptomatic of an internal hardware defect, meaning a faulty power supply or main/control board, though there are many possible failure points. This issue could be a manufacturing defect, but is also often caused by a power event (shock/surge, prolonged over/under voltage condition, etc).

This could also be the result of age related wear and tear; as a 2012 model tv, that type of failure wouldn’t be surprising. This set is at/past its service life at this point, and plasma technology is long obsolete (this is the last one LG made).

There is one step you can take here, both as a possible fix, as well as a diagnostic evaluation:
1) Unplug the power cord from the outlet

2) Wait at least 1 hour (60+ Minutes)

3) Press and hold the power button (on the set, not the remote) for 60 seconds
4) Keep holding power button while plugging back in, and for another 60 seconds after. When plugging back in, go directly to the wall outlet, bypassing any power strips or surge protectors.

If this reset process does not work, it would unfortunately confirm an internal hardware failure.

This is something that would require repairs to correct; if you're thinking about a do it yourself repair, you'll need to be comfortable and skilled with electronics repairs, which could include dismantling the set (removing the back panel of the tv), diagnostics testing with a multimeter, changing out boards as needed, and possibly desoldering/removing and soldering/replacing individual components.

If you’re considering repair at a local shop, you’ll find a typical repair to be around $400 for diagnostics, parts, and labor.

For a tv of this size/age however, replacement will make more sense. You can get a brand new LED tv with a fresh warranty in the same $400 range.

I can help you with finding parts, finding a repair shop, or recommending replacement options, if desired.

My apologies for the news,

I have the back panel off the tv, and I would like assistance figuring out which board is the problem.

You would start with testing the output voltages of the power supply. If any are low or missing, that board needs to be replaced.

Hello, it appears your question is still open.

Do you need more help with this? Were you able to test the power supply?

The voltages test fine and we have running power light but doesn't turn on fully when pressing power button.
We would like troubleshooting.

Okay now test the ceramic fuse on the sustain board (upper left) as a next step.

If that is bad, replace it. If it checks ok, then we'd be looking at a main board fault as the most likely failure here

There was power running to the power supply board, but no where else. We're trying a new power board on it at the moment, if that doesn't fix it we'd like to continue troubleshooting.
Hey, we no longer require your service.

So the new power board worked?

Great, glad to hear that did the trick for you.