TV

Facing TV Problems? Ask a TV Technician.

TV

My tv comes on but before the picyure comes on the tv gos…

Customer Question
My tv comes on...

My tv comes on but before the picyure comes on the tv gos off

Technician's Assistant: What's the brand and model number of your TV? How old is it?

Hatichi about 15 yrs

Technician's Assistant: Does the TV menu work? Do you have the same problem on all sources/inputs?

Yes

Technician's Assistant: How long has this been an issue? What happened right before this?

About 6 mo. if you keep turning on it will sgtay on after 25 times

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: TV
1/3/2018
TV Technician: Aric, Technician replied 1 month ago
Aric, Technician

I'm reviewing your details and will reply shortly.

What's the model number off of the back of the TV please? Also, when it shuts off does the powerr light blink at all?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
42hdt52a

Note that the site will send you a phone call offer- that is NOT from me. It is sent without my consent and I am not available by phone. To see MY REPLY, "X" out of the offer and view the page that we have been typing on. Also note that any offers for subscriptions or promotions are NOT something I am privy to.

When the set shuts off, does the power light begin to blink please?

Are you there and do you need help with this?

Simply reply back on this page to proceed.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
No
TV Technician: Nathan, Installer replied 1 month ago
Nathan, Installer

I’m Nathan, and I’ll be assisting you today.

Sorry to hear that you’re having trouble with this but I’ll do my best to help you out.

Unfortunately, the issues you are experiencing are symptomatic of an internal hardware defect, most likely a faulty power supply or main/control board, though there are many possible failure points. This issue could be a manufacturing defect, but is also often caused by a power event (shock/surge, prolonged over/under voltage condition, etc).

This could also be the result of age related wear and tear; as a 2005 model tv, that type of failure wouldn’t be surprising. This tv is over 3 times its service life at this point, and plasma technology is long obsolete.

There is one step you can take here, both as a possible fix, as well as a diagnostic evaluation:
1) Unplug the power cord from the outlet

2) Wait at least 1 hour (60+ Minutes)

3) Press and hold the power button (on the set, not the remote) for 60 seconds
4) Keep holding power button while plugging back in, and for another 60 seconds after. When plugging back in, go directly to the wall outlet, bypassing any power strips or surge protectors.

If this reset process does not work, it would unfortunately confirm an internal hardware failure.

This is something that would require repairs to correct; if you're thinking about a do it yourself repair, you'll need to be comfortable and skilled with electronics repairs, which could include dismantling the set (removing the back panel of the tv), diagnostics testing with a multimeter, changing out boards as needed, and possibly desoldering/removing and soldering/replacing individual components.

If you’re considering repair at a local shop, you’ll find a typical repair to be around $400 for diagnostics, parts, and labor.

For a tv of this size/age however, replacement will make more sense. You can get a brand new LED tv with a fresh warranty in the $300 range.

I can help you with finding parts, finding a repair shop, or recommending replacement options, if desired.

My apologies for the news,

TV Technician: Electrotech2017, Audio and Video Technician replied 1 month ago
Electrotech2017
Electrotech2017, Audio and Video Technician
Phone call session started

Hello, it appears your question is still open.

Do you need more help with this?

Please note: You have already paid your fees to the site; I'd like to help you and provide value for that fee, but I do need to communicate with you here to do so, if more help is needed.

Nathan, Installer