TV

Facing TV Problems? Ask a TV Technician.

TV

I have a Sony kdl65w850a that is now 3 years old - out of…

Customer Question
Hi, I have a Sony kdl65w850a...
I have a Sony kdl65w850a that is now 3 years old - out of warranty.
A few months ago, something weird happened. I cannot seem to switch on the tv with the power button on the remote. Ive tried both the remotes the tv ships with - the normal with all buttons and the smaller remote with fewer buttons. The result is the same - the power button on the remote does not turn on the TV. All other buttons on the remote work - I can get into the menus , make choices, etc.
Also I cannot switch off the tv from the remotes too.
I am now turning the TV on manually with the button on the side of the TV.
What could be the reason for the oddity with the power button ? What can be done to get it fixed ?
Thanks,
druid
Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: TV
Answered in 1 minute by:
1/2/2018
TV Technician: Nathan, Installer replied 1 month ago
Nathan, Installer

Hi, I'm Nathan.
Sorry to hear that you're having trouble, but I'll do my best to help you. Please give me a few moments to review and reply.

Does the tv respond to power commands from anything else, like a cable or satellite remote?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I do not have a cable/satellite remote. The TV does respond to the menu/app buttons on the remote - like getting into the apps and then choosing an app like netflix.

Okay,

Lets try a quick test of the factory remote. Take the tv remote into a dim/dark room, and look at the infrared emitter at the front edge of the remote, as viewed through the DISPLAY (not the viewfinder) of a digital camera. A cell phone cam, web cam, security camera, etc will also work. Each time you press a button on the remote, you should see the emitter at the front light up, flash, or glow slightly.

Compare what you see for the working (menu, app, volume, etc) buttons, with the power button. Does pressing the power button cause the glow?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
the power button glows red when i see it through the phone display. So I would think the problem is not in the remote.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Let me know if you need me to try anything else Nathan.

Thank you for the info, and my apologies for missing you earlier.

This indicates an internal tv issue.

As an initial step, please go into the sony menu and run the factory reset (restore defaults) option, then test how the remote works after that.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Nathan. I will do this in a few hours and report back.

Thank you

Louie, Technician